Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

What height should my skirting be??

Page 1 of 1
We are doing our main floor after handover and are looking as tasmanian oak floors. The 1 strip with the 4mm hardwood on top.

My SS said they usually leave 11mm from floor to skirting. Would I need higher because of the timber???

Has anyone had this issue??
Are you able to get the skirting taken out of your contract and get it done by the wood floor installers?
You may get a credit and then you can put it towards the skirtings after handover.
I know this is something we do in WA. I am not sure if its something thats done elsewhere.
gweluphome
Are you able to get the skirting taken out of your contract and get it done by the wood floor installers?
You may get a credit and then you can put it towards the skirtings after handover.
I know this is something we do in WA. I am not sure if its something thats done elsewhere.

Thanks gweluphome

We were thinking of doing the flooring ourselves!

But they wont take the skirting our of the contract cos they have already ordered it. We are plaster stage at the moment.

Ive heard there are tassie oak floors that are 12mm and others that are 19mm.

If im laying on concrete, do I have to put underlay underneath the wood?? that would add even more height
We had direct stick on concrete so no underlay was required. I would approach the company you are thinking of doing your floors and ask them what their requirements are as your skirtings will already be put in. You could ask to have the skirting supplied but not installed.
Definately ask your wood floor supplier though that would serve you the best.
Hi, after talking to the tiler for our house we changed the height (through our builder) of our skirting boards to 13mm.
but we also had the option for the builder to leave the boards in the garage for install after tiling but we would have to do that and paint them aswell. (did not want paint on my new tiles)

so i suggest you talk to your floor people and find out their requirements then talk to your ss\builder,
i'm sure they would be helpfull
We did our floors separately but our SS was very helpful. The majority of painting was completed without skirting in place. We then had our floors installed and the skirting were finally added on and then painted.
Cant you just ask them not to install the skirtings and then put them on yourselves after the flooring?
Could you ask them to just tack the skirtings on and then you easily remove them (and number them) and re-install them?
We had a similar issue, we didn't even think about upgrading the skirting boards so just had the normal standard height. PD wouldn't tack the skirting boards on either and we knew we wanted solid tassie oak floorboards.

I really didn't want the quad look, and fortunately found a company -(Solid Hardwood Flooring in Melbourne) who were able to lay 19mm Tassie Oak Boards without quad and without affecting much of the height of the skirting boards. They are still shorter than average skirtings now but to tell you the truth I don't notice
Our builders ended up lifting our skirting to 18mm for us which left enought room for the boards underneath. so I was happy with that!!
Related
28/07/2023
My builder made the wrong height door, what should I do next

Building A New House

i imagine you also have another contract with an architect? and yeah, whatever other's said about special conditions and appendices

5/02/2024
Skirting and Floorboard space

Building A New House

Joe Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. If you haven't sorted this already you need to caulk this gap. Not sure where you are but if you are in Sydney I can…

8/02/2024
Skirting/Windows Trim acceptable tolerance/gaps

Building A New House

Caulking gaps that big will look horrible

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum