Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Stormwater management issues

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I am having an issue with my house in Brisbane. A plumber installed a new drain by cutting into an existing downpipe and fitting a pit. This was to help drain a small patio which would get a bit soaked during big rain events. However, it has made things significantly worse - when it starts raining heavily now the pit backs up and all the water floods back out of it.

The thing is, the block slopes down and the new drain is below the level of other stormwater lines that I think get quite charged during heavy rain, so I think this new drain has created a path of least resistance. In light rain everything seems to work fine. See sketch here - the 3rd downpipe from the left has been cut off with the drain added underneath, where it used to just be a sealed connection. I wonder if this also kills off the 'push' from the fall of the longest downpipe would have given to the column of water heading down the pipes so the flowrate has been affected?

I'm thinking I should remove this new drain and go back to a continuous connection. Even if the system does back up in a very heavy rain event, I'd prefer the driveway drain overflows than the patio drain.

Any thoughts before I pay the plumber to undo the work they already did (and perhaps should have known better about?)?

Cheers!
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

23/07/2023
Fixing cracked stormwater PVC pipe

General Discussion

Plumbers 'can be' plumbers, made all the worse by self certification which the building surveyor invariably accepts as proof of compliance! The good thing is that you know know.

20/09/2023
Water around stormwater drain and concrete

Paving & Concreting

Grab a hose, insert it at the top of the inlet/down pipe and turn the water on and see where the water is escaping from. Then you'll know.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum