Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Building Contract Specifications

Page 1 of 2
[img:1v3zpu5c]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/96487_1625401280.jpg[/img:1v3zpu5c]

[img:1v3zpu5c]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/96487_1625401345.jpg[/img:1v3zpu5c]

Could someone please explain the features of this facade to me? Could they point it out?

It states that it has Newport cladding. Is this the cladding that's brown or is it on the house? The reason why I am asking is when I looked up that specific cladding the pictures show horizontal cladding that looks like the old weatherboard houses (which I love) BUT the customer service rep said we will have vertical axon cladding to the front and the rest of the house which is also shown in the architectural plans. It also states the external will be JH axon cladding. Where is the wood stained timber located?

I'm seriously confused. Is this a mistake?
[img:2562b9s5]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/96487_1625402268.jpg[/img:2562b9s5]
Cupcake2021
[img:1v3zpu5c]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/96487_1625401280.jpg[/img:1v3zpu5c]

[img:1v3zpu5c]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/96487_1625401345.jpg[/img:1v3zpu5c]

Could someone please explain the features of this facade to me? Could they point it out?

It states that it has Newport cladding. Is this the cladding that's brown or is it on the house? The reason why I am asking is when I looked up that specific cladding the pictures show horizontal cladding that looks like the old weatherboard houses (which I love) BUT the customer service rep said we will have vertical axon cladding to the front and the rest of the house which is also shown in the architectural plans. It also states the external will be JH axon cladding. Where is the wood stained timber located?

I'm seriously confused. Is this a mistake?
[img:2562b9s5]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/96487_1625402268.jpg[/img:2562b9s5]

Why don't you ask for working drawings to be sure.
A couple of additional points
1.The coloured renderings don't form part of the contract. They are for illustrative sales purposes only
2. Sounds like the salesman made a mistake and he didn't know the difference between vertical and horizontal cladding?
4. Timber weatherboard stained cladding is a very expensive contract variation
5.The mistake was carried further onto the Contract documents, Unfortunately mistakes occur and clients are asked to pay for them.
6. to 5. above talk to a solicitor.
OT It always pays to review all the costing and documentation before you sign a PPA and hand over a deposit, We are seeing more and more problems as a result of Insta and FB post photos where Battlers and Punters think they are getting exactly what's presented?
Worse are engineering presentations/details ... LOL..there aren't any
That gets sorted out later at greater cost
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
It always pays to review all the costing and documentation before you sign a PPA and hand over a deposit, We are seeing more and more problems as a result of Insta and FB post photos where Battlers and Punters think they are getting exactly what's presented?

Yep...and this is yet another to add to the forum's very long list of contract issues that could/would have been avoided had there been a pre contract signing consultation with an appropriately qualified industry professional.
This forum is a great resource and it beggars belief to industry experts that battlers and punters
don't use it properly....
StructuralBIMGuy
This forum is a great resource and it beggars belief to industry experts that battlers and punters
don't use it properly....

Thank you to both of you. It is a good forum. If they say it will cost us, I'll just leave it as axon cladding. If there were a list of professionals that we could contact and have them look over the plans and see it matches the details that would have been great. We had a lawyer look at the contract but we had no one to cross check the plans to the details.
SaveH2O
StructuralBIMGuy
It always pays to review all the costing and documentation before you sign a PPA and hand over a deposit, We are seeing more and more problems as a result of Insta and FB post photos where Battlers and Punters think they are getting exactly what's presented?

Yep...and this is yet another to add to the forum's very long list of contract issues that could/would have been avoided had there been a pre contract signing consultation with an appropriately qualified industry professional.

Maybe you can organise a company that does that?
Cupcake2021
SaveH2O
StructuralBIMGuy

Maybe you can organise a company that does that?

Just so I know. Is the Newport weatherboard supposed to go just on the front because it states, 'includes returns to the dwelling'. What does that mean?
Cupcake2021
We had a lawyer look at the contract but we had no one to cross check the plans to the details.

Lawyers are a waste of time, they don't know what to look out for. Double charges, poor accounting that mysteriously are invariably in the builder's favour, "Performance Solutions" that don't meet Australian Standards, windows/slabs/steps at incorrect heights, incorrect solar HWS, incorrect hydraulic assessments; it has been a long list over the years.

It's always best to add where you are located to your post avatar. Many of the better building consultants who do stage inspections also do pre contract consultations and the forum's building professionals like building_expert are a good place to start looking.
SaveH2O
Cupcake2021
We had a lawyer look at the contract but we had no one to cross check the plans to the details.

Lawyers are a waste of time, they don't know what to look out for. Double charges, poor accounting that mysteriously are invariably in the builder's favour, "Performance Solutions" that don't meet Australian Standards, windows/slabs/steps at incorrect heights, incorrect solar HWS, incorrect hydraulic assessments; it has been a long list over the years.

It's always best to add where you are located to your post avatar. Many of the better building consultants who do stage inspections also do pre contract consultations and the forum's building professionals like building_expert are a good place to start looking.

I wish I had known this before. We have inspectors for every stage, except contract consultations. We needed a builder to go over it with us, especially because we couldn't meet face-to-face with the Simonds' consultant during lockdown last year.
Cupcake2021

Just so I know. Is the Newport weatherboard supposed to go just on the front because it states, 'includes returns to the dwelling'. What does that mean?

Just curious have they built this façade? or has an artist visualised the coloured rendering of the façade and now that they have sold it to you they are sorting it out the details and construction issues?
The working Drawings should be more detailed with Cross sections through a 3D (BIM) Model etc ask to see them and have it explained to you.
The returns are always a contentious issue as to where to place material joints... as you don't want them visible in front clear view
IMO external corners are better than internal corners
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
Cupcake2021

Just curious have they built this façade? or has an artist visualised the coloured rendering of the façade and now that they have sold it to you they are sorting it out the details and construction issues?
The working Drawings should be more detailed with Cross sections through a 3D (BIM) Model etc ask to see them and have it explained to you.
The returns are always a contentious issue as to where to place material joints... as you don't want them visible in front clear view
IMO external corners are better than internal corners
Cheers
Chris

We are the first to have selected this facade in Melbourne. I will ask for the cross sections. I emailed them today about it and sent a message to our site manager to explain this to us. Thank you Chris for explaining it. I'll ask for a cross section or 3D model for this.
Let us know what they say when you ask them for the BIM.🤣
Noname

Hello, I spoke to them and my Simonds customer service representative handled it very professionally. She double checked and yes we were supposed to have Newport Weatherboard. She gave me the option to pick which one I want... of course I went with the weatherboard as that's what we paid for. She spoke to head office and they sent me the documents this morning. It's been officially changed and I'm so happy with how it's been handled. Thank you so much for your help, this wouldn't have happened if I hadn't had discussed it with the both of you. Thank you!
Cupcake2021
Noname

Hello, I spoke to them and my Simonds customer service representative handled it very professionally. She double checked and yes we were supposed to have Newport Weatherboard. She gave me the option to pick which one I want... of course I went with the weatherboard as that's what we paid for. She spoke to head office and they sent me the documents this morning. It's been officially changed and I'm so happy with how it's been handled. Thank you so much for your help, this wouldn't have happened if I hadn't had discussed it with the both of you. Thank you!

yeah I was specifically referring to the BIM and what they would say when you asked for it. BIM is 3D modeling for architecture/engineering/construction professionals. It usually contains various calculations about material performance, costs etc (not the plans/working drawing usually shared with the customer). Unless you are one of these professions, or have a keen interest and understand the BIM material, they are basically useless to the general consumer. Basically not something a volume builder would provides a client on request. I was interested in what response you'd get back when you asked for such information

What you discussed with them was related to an external finish and the material choice and your preferences. Which solved your issue, all without needing any BIM. Basically the expected outcome.

quite often on this forum some really over the top "advice" (if you can call it that) gets thrown around for something that can be resolved with a basic conversation with the builder.

Glad you got your problem sorted.
Most Project Builders here use 3D Bim models here Show us your facade to present the completed house image as a sales hook They also use it for extracting quantities and pricing something, you'll never get to see from the Builder
To say Bim data is not used is nonsense, it's easier for Builders to say we don't use it, rather than advise Battlers and punters
on the material quantities and costs.
The smart money is to own copyright of your design and use Bim Data when comparing and checking quotes, designs, simulations, etc.
LOL, better over the top than have your pants pulled down on the build site
I've said it before " They'll treat you like a mushroom and feed you Sales BullsH1T"
The only way is to stand up to it is call it out , if they aren't prepared to listen to reason find another Builder it's their loss"
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
Most Project Builders here use 3D Bim models here Show us your facade to present the completed house image as a sales hook They also use it for extracting quantities and pricing something, you'll never get to see from the Builder
To say Bim data is not used is nonsense, it's easier for Builders to say we don't use it, rather than advise Battlers and punters
The smart money is to own copyright of your design and use Bim Data when comparing and checking quotes, designs, simulations, etc.
I've said it before " They'll treat you like a mushroom and feed you Sales BullsH1T"
The only way is to stand up to it is call it out , if they aren't prepared to listen to reason find another Builder it's their loss"
Cheers
Chris

you have really poor comprehension, bad at maths, and im wondering if you even read posts before you tap away responses.

No one said "Bim data is not used".
StructuralBIMGuy
Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

The thank you message was for you too. I really appreciate the time you took to try and help me. Thank you!
Noname
StructuralBIMGuy
Cheers
Chris

you have really poor comprehension, bad at maths, and im wondering if you even read posts before you tap away responses.

No one said "Bim data is not used".

I'm grateful that he put the effort in helping.
he lead you down the garden path. You actually helped yourself
Related
18/02/2024
Retaining wall not built to specifications, PC help

General Discussion

Thanks for your reply! All valid points and I agree with you on many of them. I am in QLD, any recommendations on a construction lawyer would be helpful

3/09/2023
Contract Sum Adjustments in HIA contract

Building A New House

You talk about deletions, are they variations or PS and PC adjustments? pleas list them

9/02/2024
Should a building contract be checked by lawyers?

Building A New House

I've decided, after a period of confusion (my building broker told me it's probably not worth it to use a lawyer, but others have said it is a must) that I definitely will…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum