Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Brick mortar seems sandy - test options?

Page 1 of 1
Something we've noticed after living in our new house for a while is that there seem to be a number of imperfections occurring in the mortar. Whether this was there before and we didn't notice during our inspections, not sure.

I've noticed that when I run my finger along the mortar joint, sand does come off. If I rub an area enough, it eventually stops coming off, which maybe suggests it's excess sand left after the initial brick clean/acid wash cleared away the surface cement? For curiosity sake, I've tried running my finger on mortar on other houses (sounds a bit creepy...) and it seems like it's kinda similar everywhere, so I might just be paranoid.

I would be keen to hear other experiences and whether this sounds normal. I've attached some photos of the worst looking spot.

I've contemplated getting some tests done, but the lab I contacted for chemical tests would charge $1000, which is a bit hefty if I'm just being paranoid. I've heard of scratch testing, which obviously less accurate but might be enough as a sanity check, and is likely cheaper, but I can't find anyone on Google that does it in Victoria. Any suggestions? Any other basic tests I could do myself maybe?

Thanks!

Have you checked your contract to see whether there is a Performance Solution that allowed the brickies to use a weaker mortar mix?
SaveH2O
Have you checked your contract to see whether there is a Performance Solution that allowed the brickies to use a weaker mortar mix?

Yeah, the only reference to mortar in the contract or documentation is on the engineer's drawings, which mentions mix should be 1 cement, 1 lime and 6 sand above the damp course, and 1 cement, 1/4 lime and 3 sand below damp course.
This has been discussed many times
Search the forum for Plasticiser
and when others visit their building site while the bricklayer is there, search the Bin for empty lime bags and plastic bottles of soap
Take photos ,using soap and lime together is a no !..no. ! BTW, this should be noted on the Engineering Drawings
Also look for the air voids in the mortar though a bit too late now the brickies long gone .
hth
Understand there has been discussion on the topic before, and I'm already aware of what could potentially cause weak mortar. But what I'm hoping to get out of the post is a) does it look like there are issues in my case (may be difficult to tell from just photos and written description) and b) are there any other testing options available?

Literally googling "mortar scratch testing Victoria" yields no results of companies that do the service, but I'd like to at least get something done either for peace of mind or for ammo to argue with my builder (though hopefully cheaper than the full chemical test). If a scratch test fails or is inconclusive, I would look at getting the chemical test done (potentially asking the builder to pay), but at least I'd have an indication if this is a real problem or just paranoia on my part.
If you rely only on google searches then you are going to get swamp with advertising paraphilia followed by hours of reading useless generic information, best to ask experts directly ...if you get my gist.
My post is for others to keep your wits about themselves during various site visits ie the brickwork stage. It/post reinforces the concept "prevention is better than cure" and that comes from doing decades of structural repairs.
By all means contact a local structural engineer and then what? ... I don't like your chances of getting anything from the builder, BTW, your build structural warranty expires in 6 years. OT, for others
The correct process is
1. Inspect the site, Locate defective workmanship
2.Have someone Qualified to recommend repairs and put the builder on notice.
3.recommend Immediate repairs, if they are structural they are fixed ASAP
4.If the builder chooses not to do anything, then it may be a a waiting game
5.Contact an engineer, as they are the only ones Qualified to deal with non-compliance
6.Monitor and measure the structural defect. LOL, don't spend too much on reports and lawyers
7. To avoid the cracking being a constant reminder , you may wish to repoint the mortar
That's also been discussed previously.
hth
Some brick cleaners use incredibly strong acid and high pressure which carries on residual degradation of the mortar.

Brick cleaners are also supposed to neutralise the acid with acid neutraliser application.

The acid just keeps eating....
Related
20/06/2023
San Selmo Reclaimed Original - Mortar Joint

Building A New House

Hi, I am planning to select San Selmo reclaimed original for the fascade of my build. I have seen many photos on line of the brick varying from a rustic to a neat finish.…

1/12/2023
Mortar holes/gaps in a 10yo townhouse - are these bad?

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place - I’m new to the property/building journey (trying to buy my first home) so not sure where/who to go with these sorts of…

21/03/2024
White sand for mortar

Building A New House

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated!

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum