Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

No tiles in shower

Page 1 of 1
There are no tiles (other than on the floor) in our bathroom. Currently, the walls are just painted in the shower.

Is this an issue? Should we tile it? I don't mind spending a few agnosing days attempting to do it myself.. but how hard is it to do around the taps etc?
Is this a new house karol? Whatever it is, it should have some tiling in the shower, that's weird. I have never seen or heard of no tiling in a shower recess before. Yeah I would be getting it done.
It's an old postwar. I've never seen it either. I was standing there looking at it for a really long trying to figure out what was "off" about it until I realised there were no tiles

oh well, more things to add to the list then
Karol, we have painted marine ply around our very old (and very horrible) shower. Do you have something like this or is it just a painted wall??

We are planning a reno soon so our bathroom will no longer exist but if you are planning on keeping your for a while then I would suggest you look at tiling it.

Al
That is bizaar. I would tile at least up to shower screen height. You maybe able to use waterproof paint (membrane) but I wouldn't recommend it!
Depends what the walls are underneath the paint.
That era of house has a popular lining called 'tilux' or something like that - basically water resistant firous sheeting with a pattern or colour printed on it.
Yep my first home purchase was a little cottage built in the '60's - it's shower was exactly the same. Only problem I had was the bottom of the wall started to blow and rust was forming. Had we of kept it we were going to reline it with lami-panel - much cheaper then tiling. Or alternatively buy a pre-fab shower cubicle and slot it in. Ended up selling it so didn't do anything.
Related
27/06/2023
Fixing a shower head height mistake

Bathrooms and Laundry

I'll look into different shower heads and ask the plumber about some engineering and see what he says. Thanks

22/06/2023
Joists under shower tray

General Discussion

Hi All, about to commence a bathroom renovation and need some advice on subfloor works. Current subfloor is hardwood T&G floorboards on 90x45 joists, but intention is to…

29/06/2023
Installing a new shower do l need a plumber

Bathrooms and Laundry

Ask yourself if the insurance company will be aware of the Reno.

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum