Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Bathtub in ensuite

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

We are planning on having a bathtub in our main bathroom and ensuite. My partner thinks we will save a bit of money by not having a bathtub in the ensuite. I always loved the idea of a statement free standing bathtub in my ensuite. Would love to hear what you all think. Is it a waste of money and space for two bathtubs upstairs?

Thanks
Depends on one's view but personally I view it as a luxury, but it depends how often you realistically have a bath?

If you find that you rarely do, it'll become a dustbowl and your $ will be spent better elsewhere such as higher ceilings upstairs etc.

I think only you can answer this yourself if you can justify the cost and cannot utilise the space for something else instead (like an extension of a WIR etc) or otherwise might be nice to have an escape in the parents 'retreat' away from the kids for some me time.
Main issue with freestanding bathtub is the difficulty in cleaning/removing the excess water, foam and dust which falls between the bathtub and the wall. Freestanding bathtub is more or less okay if it stands in the middle of the room, but once you place it near the wall, proper cleaning and maintenance won't be a piece of cake of job as with properly integrated bath.
The back to wall freestanding is a good compromise:

Agree, as long you have enough space to the left and to the right.
We love the bath in the ensuite! Make sure its long enough to lay down in!
It really depends if you are a bath person.
I'm not, so we didn't bother putting a bath in the ensuite.
You could always add more space to the walk in robe instead.
Make sure you get into the bath when choosing it. I don't bath, but my wife chose our bath purely on looks. Now she never uses it as she says it is too uncomfortable!
That was why I suggested a spa bath to my wife, as some have head rests and the jets give a nice massage. As our house will only have the one bath (master ensuite) I suggested it, but she is not keen, said it was old fashioned and didn't want to spend extra!
Apart from the issue of regular use, to me it would also depend on the type of home and where it is located. I'm not saying that people building project homes in outer suburbs don’t deserve luxuries, but when it comes time to sell (and most of us do eventually) it could be perceived as over-capitalisation.
Sparkyf
That was why I suggested a spa bath to my wife, as some have head rests and the jets give a nice massage. As our house will only have the one bath (master ensuite) I suggested it, but she is not keen, said it was old fashioned and didn't want to spend extra!

yeh i think they're old fashioned also, take up a heap of room and require cleaning and take a heap of water to fill up.
Do it, install a bath in the Ensuite but make sure its a very good bath to use and looks. Budget bath in main bathroom to save dollars
We put the bath in our ensuite, its 1800mm long and didnt put one in the main bathroom. Our kids are older and still use ours if they need.
We had a bath in both ensuite and main bath in our last house and will do the same with the next house.
Alexp, do you actually have a free standing bath? We had one in our last bathroom and had no issues cleaning behind it, you just need about 2-3cms to get a mop down the back, no issues, our next build we will be doing one free standing and one back to wall, but that’s more about looks rather than function
My mop won't squeeze into 2-3 cm opening
Robot cleaner is not able to clean in that space too. Yes, I had this one in the service apartment once and removing the water and dust/dirt from near the wall was always a pita. On the other side, in the serviced apartment it was never an issue as it was freestanding in the middle of the balcony/terrace over there.

Back to the wall should be better from that standpoint.
ourrawsonbalmoral38
Sparkyf

yeh i think they're old fashioned also, take up a heap of room and require cleaning and take a heap of water to fill up.

When we were building our current house 20 years ago, as it had 2 baths, we decided to put a spa in the ensuite. Of course due to the water requirements, they had to install a bigger hot water service also! And 10 years later we had severe water restrictions for a while, but apart from that, it was probably used about 10 times in 20 years!

Mind you, it never worked the first time we used it! We filled it up, jumped in, pushed the button, and... nothing. Went outside, checked the switch was on, went back inside, still nothing. Wasted a spa full of water. Called the builder out next day, they had to lift the spa out slightly, and found the air tube from the start button to the pump had been squashed during installation! No one would know until it got used!
Alexp, 2-3cm is all that is needed to get the handle of the mop down there, i lived with It for 6 years, no issues what so ever. In regards to serviced apartments, i just had to live in one for a month due to a house fire, lucky for me they cleaned it every day...
Related
4/06/2023
Bathroom reno - do i need a bathtub

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hello It is good to have a planned bathroom reno to suit your budget and design, living for 10 years I think you need a bathtub

8/05/2023
Opinion on Ensuite layout

Building A New House

Thanks for the suggestion. The space between shower and sinks was too tight. I agree about the toilet location. So I have tried two other options: The lower one is…

26/08/2023
renovate bathroom remove step up into ensuite

Bathrooms and Laundry

the step up is 30mm and wanting it to be flat . how much does the concrete have to be lowered .we plan on removing bath and lenghten shower and adding seat. the old bath…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum