Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Tiling after handover - new

Page 1 of 1
Need help with tiling for bathroom after handover. Full height to ceiling.

1. Do I need the remove the plaster from the walls?

2. Do I tile up to cornice edge? Or re-do cornice so that the cornice are on top of tiles?

Has anyone do this after handover? What can I do to prep for this? Do I need to let the builder know about this so they do not put plaster on the walls?

Any other advices are appreciated.
kester
1. Do I need the remove the plaster from the walls?

No, tiles go over plaster. Better if it's not painted though.

kester
2. Do I tile up to cornice edge? Or re-do cornice so that the cornice are on top of tiles?

You can tile up to the cornice but it depends on the thickness of your tiles. If you have thick porcelain tiles then they will protrude from the wall more than the cornice and it will look funny.

Personally I think it is better to go over it with new cornice for a neater look (though that costs more obviously). You could always ask the builder to leave off the cornice in the bathrooms and have it done after the tiles, or leave a gap to allow for the tiles.
Related
11/09/2023
New Construction variations after completing works

Building A New House

I can help you with all that, you can PM me with details if you wish

1/04/2024
Unsigned variations after a new home is completed

Building A New House

Any advice on a builder in NSW who is demanding an extra 22000k after the house is completed and contract paid in full .Standard HIA contract. Never received a variation.…

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum