Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Ensuite bathroom door - required or not?

Page 1 of 1
We are converting our reasonably large bathroom at 3000mm x 3100mm into an ensuite of 1150mm x 3100mm and whatever is left is the main household bathroom.

My question is in regard to a door for the ensuite. There is already a door into the ensuite side of the bathroom to be which opens inwards. There isn't enough room for a door swinging into an ensuite with a width of only 650mm once the 500mm wide vanity unit is installed.

Our internal walls are masonry block so a sliding door that goes into the wall is not an option. We could swing the door into the bedroom if necessary however we would prefer to have no door at all.

My questions are:

1. Is it legal to have no door at all?
  2. If we have to have a door is it legal to swing it into the bedroom?

I can’t imagine there is any legal requirement for a door as there are approved ensuites that are ostensibly part of the bedroom. The main reason to have one is privacy and smell.
We lived for 8 years with an ensuite, that opened straight off the bedroom, with no door.
Although the ensuite toilet was behind a door it was still a PITA.
Fitted a sliding door with pelmet and now totally happy.
Most display homes that I have seen don't have doors on ensuites, which to me seems crazy. I even saw one where you can see the toilet directly from the bed, with no door to close

I don't want to be woken up by the bathroom light and sound show when my partner gets up in the middle of the night. We even put in solid doors.
Could you add an extra leaf of wall to the bathroom that is framed, and add a cavity door? I would not want to sleep in the same room as someone going to the toilet without a door!

brokenstick
Most display homes that I have seen don't have doors on ensuites, which to me seems crazy. I even saw one where you can see the toilet directly from the bed, with no door to close

I don't want to be woken up by the bathroom light and sound show when my partner gets up in the middle of the night. We even put in solid doors.

The 2 main reasons display homes don’t have them is to give the illusion of being in a luxury hotel and the other being that most people will request a door so it’s an easy way to make money by providing the “upgrade”.
Thank you all. OK, one way or another we will do a door. There is plenty of room to swing the door into the bedroom. Just wondering if it is legal.

I'm just thinking in terms of having to lift the door off its hinges if someone collapses in there against the door.
If you can’t have a cavity slider, could you have one that’s on the outside of the wall, like a sliding barn door?
JohnnyAir
Thank you all. OK, one way or another we will do a door. There is plenty of room to swing the door into the bedroom. Just wondering if it is legal.

I'm just thinking in terms of having to lift the door off its hinges if someone collapses in there against the door.

If you swinging it into the bedroom why would you not just open it if someone collapsed behind it? If it opens into the bathroom that would be when you lift it.
That's what we did.
With a pelmet over the top it looks like it's always been there
gillybean
JohnnyAir

If you swinging it into the bedroom why would you not just open it if someone collapsed behind it? If it opens into the bathroom that would be when you lift it.

Good point. I would think that that answers that question.
Althom
That's what we did.
With a pelmet over the top it looks like it's always been there

I can see how that would work. As we have room to open the door into the bedroom I'm thinking that that is the likely solution for us.
Related
26/08/2023
renovate bathroom remove step up into ensuite

Bathrooms and Laundry

the step up is 30mm and wanting it to be flat . how much does the concrete have to be lowered .we plan on removing bath and lenghten shower and adding seat. the old bath…

18/10/2023
Bathroom door hangers

Bathrooms and Laundry

I was in a similar situation needing to attach hangers to a hollow bathroom door. I just bought the stick on type with a larger surface area base and used good double…

3/12/2023
Sliding door to bathroom noisy

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Thanks Chippy . Did also see a YouTube video before. Removed them . Thanks again for the advice.

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum