Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Extra wall tiling....after handover?

Page 1 of 1
We have now signed our contract and I'm beginning to wonder about the bathroom tiling. I'm still happy with the selections but I wish now that we'd gone with more tiling on the walls.
I'm hoping that I can just buy more tiles (ordered so they're from hte same batch
) and just get the tiler to do a bit extra for a cashie....
BUT if the tiler refuses and just does the standard....can I get it done later? More rows of tiles above the standard or will it be weird?
I can go and change it all but I'll be slugged a variation fee.

Is the tiler likely to go for the extra work?
Can more tiling be added successfully later?
Should I just bite the bullet and suck up the cost to get the contract varied?

Suggestions advice on the best way to go please.....

Thanks,
Jo
Quote:

I can't see why not.
Paula
Quote:

I can't see why not.

I can't see why not either but there'll be some reason I'm sure....
It may be worth getting it all done through the builder, even if it cost for a variation, as it will cost just as much getting a tiler out to do it later, then having the hassle of they don't turn up or do a good job.

Unless you can convince the tiler doing the job to do a cashie for the extra
The variation fee alone will be $1000... I was sure I'd thought of everything but this is bugging me.
joles
The variation fee alone will be $1000... I was sure I'd thought of everything but this is bugging me.

WOW! That's a lot!
Interested in the answer, too - something we're considering also!
$1000????????????

Do it yourself - bl**dy greedy builders
Paula

Unless you can convince the tiler doing the job to do a cashie for the extra

That's what we're planning to do Joles.

The builder's tiling company is supplying us with 2 quotes :

One to supply & install all the way up to the cornice, &
One to supply only.

They told us the easiest way is to pay a bit of cash to the tiler & get him to do the extra tiling.

Otherwise we will do the tiling ourselves. DH has done it before.

Also, the tile company will ensure the tiles will come out of the same batch & will store them until needed.
I'm not 100% sure on the variation fee, haven't checked this issue.... but that's the standard fee for a variation... I will check but prepared for the worse.
joles

Yes you can.........no dramas to it !
Jo, we have made our tile selections and are now waiting for our builder to give us two quotes before deciding. The first quote is for the standard height as per inclusions and should be very small as our selected tiles were only a couple of dollars above our allowance. The second quote is for floor to ceiling and will include the builders margin of 20%, ouch!

If we proceed with the floor to ceiling tiling we will do so before handover and cop the builders margin (which BTW shouldn't be anywhere near $1K for us - do you have a fixed cost for this/each variation?). The main reason for us going this way is that we also (I saw you other post) have mirrors and cabinets going on the wall above the standard tile height - these would have to be removed/reaffixed if we add the tiles later (which will add to the cost anyway).

I guess we are also concerned about variations in tile batches and the loss of wet areas for a day or two while the extra tiles are added. Also if there is any poor workmanship then the builder will be reponsible to get it fixed and, presumably, would have a lot more leverage than us in this situation.

Just my thoughts. Good Luck.
joles,
i was in your shoe, i would probably talk to the tiler and let him know of your plan after handover.
i would then offer him to do the rest of the tiling (COH) after handover.
Make sure the tiler is aware of plan to increase tiling after handover so that they tile so it can be done successfully....
For instance the skirting tile along benchtop will allign with the skirting tile on floor if tiling is increased up the wall..if you get my drift.
I know nothing about the tiling issue - but $1000 for each post-contract variation !!!???

What a rort!!

(our builder charged $50 for each one)
OMG if I got charged $1000 for every variation I made I wouldn't be able to afford the house
we haven't been charged for any variations, I think
I'm not 100% sure that's what the paperwork says... but I guess it's to stop people changing all the time after contract and new plans/elevations having to be drawn...

We made heaps of changes along the way but we've signed the contract now...
I'll check with them but this was more if they said no.
Ok, I must clarify - once our plans were drawn up we could not make any structural changes at any price - once the frame gets ordered it cannot be changed (steel framed house)

But we would be charged $50 for any post-contract variations as in kitchen cabinets, tiles, floor coverings,paint etc anything possible that was NOT a structural change - this would include changes to height of tiling of course.

I understand this is to prevent people being silly and changing their minds umpteen times but HUGE difference between one builder charging $50 fee and another $1000!!

SuH, this is only for variations post-contract, we were charged nothing for variations at contract (except the actual price of the upgrade, of course)
My builder also has the same charge, and they warned us before tender... just to ensure that we plan and choose everything before the final contract
Once the FC is signed, i cannot change any more or else, has to pay 1000 for each variation...
Just bumping this......

I am starting to wish we had gone the whole way up with our tiles. Anyone successfully get tiler to do cashie or get a different iler todo it after handover?
Related
18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

4/11/2023
Tiling over old adhesive

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi, I'm clearing the tiles from our horrid 50 year old bathroom and preparing to lay new ones. Bugger of a job getting the old…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum