Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Shower fall to waste - advice needed

Page 1 of 1
I am currently building. My private building inspector has noted that the fall to waste in one of the showers is inadequate. The builder has refute that charge and is willing to put in writing that the fall has been checked and is fine.

I checked the levels with a spirit level. 2 out of 4 corners seem fairly level to me (ie minimal fall) but the builder insists that it is fine. I also tested the water draining and it is definitely draining albeit at a slower rate compared to the other shower.

The builder thinks that since it is draining, it is not worth re-doing the floor tiles, potentially disrupting waterproofing etc for just that little improvement in the draining times. He also mentioned that there are no fixed rules for draining time and this can be quite subjective and my building inspector obviously has a strict criteria for it.

So I am at a point where I either accept the builder's work and hope all will be fine. Or take it further to the department of fair trading as we have reached a disagreement and get them to investigate the issue as a third party.

Any advice?
What is the fall?

Get something straight, I.e. a level or timber.

Sit it from one end of the shower floor to the other end.

What is the height difference (gap) over the waste? What is the distance from the edge to the waste?

Fall should be 1:80 in the shower area.

Related
2/10/2023
Fall in Shower Floor

Bathrooms and Laundry

Thank you Splashers. Tomorrow I might check if I can get a few packs of 300x300 in the same tile finish. It may be good to use these could in the shower recesses. I'm not…

11/11/2023
Slab fall away

Landscape & Garden Design

I've got a challenge here. Background is the builder has cut too deep for the slab and the slab is now below the very substantial retaining wall. It's failed occupancy…

23/04/2024
Tiling a Balcony with Fall Away from House

General Discussion

AS4654.2-2012 External Membranes it is "Informative" but if you get water ingress your insurance assessor will go to this straight away and if not achieved, they will deny…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum