Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Do you have ducted heating outlet in your bathrooms?

Page 1 of 1
Do you have ducted heating outlets and/or evaporative outlet in your bathrooms?
No, but then we don’t have heating requiring ducts
MyFirst

Yup. I do.

MyFirst

Yes heating in bathroom n ensuite. We have it in the laundry too

We have it in the main bath but not the ensuite as I figured the duct in the bedroom should be enough. We also have a heat lamp - IXLTastic thing in each and to be honest, even in Winter, with the heat light and the heater on it can be really hot in the main bathroom. If I had my time again I might have put the duct in the ceiling space in front of the bathroom door and toilet door so the general area got heated but not the bathroom directly.
Best to avoid forced heating in the bathroom as you have a lot of moisture and the ultimate target is to get rid of the moisture (fans are generally used for that) rather to keep heating it up with the forced air and therefore promoting fungus and mold.

Heat lamps suck big time too, man they are not only ugly, but also work directly against the principle that the hot air will be always rising up, so they mostly heat up your ceiling space.

Best strategy: introduce electrical floor heating, plus insulate your bathroom well both inside and outside, you already have some thermal mass brought by your tiles.

Heated floor will provide the comfort of the warm floor, plus hot air will be rising all the way up, so it will consistently heating your walls, etc. Your tiles' thermal mass will be storing up the warmth and your insulation will be preventing it from spreading it to the other rooms.

In the result, you just turn up your electrical heating for couple hours a day (before you wake up) and then your bathroom remains warm and cosy for the rest of the day.
We have zoned heating as well. Best thing ever. You can heat the areas you want.
icat2000
We have zoned heating as well. Best thing ever. You can heat the areas you want.

It’s actually one of the most inefficient ways to heat a house, alexp79 is spot on with underfloor radiant heat.
Zoned heating works great for us. Only two people in this house so we heat the areas we need coupled with spending $$ on making sure we put good insulation in roof and walls also the heating is on a temperature timer and finding that we don't hardly need to run the heating as the house holds the warmth really well. No point heating areas we don't use. Well that is my experience so far.
gillybean
icat2000
We have zoned heating as well.

It’s actually one of the most inefficient ways to heat a house...

Why is that gillybean?
alexp79
Best to avoid forced heating in the bathroom as you have a lot of moisture and the ultimate target is to get rid of the moisture (fans are generally used for that) rather to keep heating it up with the forced air and therefore promoting fungus and mold.

Heat lamps suck big time too, man they are not only ugly, but also work directly against the principle that the hot air will be always rising up, so they mostly heat up your ceiling space.

Best strategy: introduce electrical floor heating, plus insulate your bathroom well both inside and outside, you already have some thermal mass brought by your tiles.

Heated floor will provide the comfort of the warm floor, plus hot air will be rising all the way up, so it will consistently heating your walls, etc. Your tiles' thermal mass will be storing up the warmth and your insulation will be preventing it from spreading it to the other rooms.

In the result, you just turn up your electrical heating for couple hours a day (before you wake up) and then your bathroom remains warm and cosy for the rest of the day.

Is the floor heating on a timer so as to turn on before waking up?
Cheers
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum