Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

How do remove and replace this basin?

Page 1 of 1
Hello
I have 2 basins in 2 bathrooms that I want to replace.
I want to replace the basins from the oval shaped to the rectangular shaped one. But have no luck in removing them from the cabinet top. Builder must have put a lot of glue under the edge.
Before I start smashing things, can someone tell me if they are removable or is it best to just replace basin together with the cabinet top?
Ummm, maybe? A picture would help.
Did not think there was much to show... But here they are. Both bathrooms are the same. Could not find any other way they are attached to the top apart from glue

D
If you have a renovator tool, you should be able to get the blade under the edge of the basin and cut through the adhesive. You will probably damage the laminate countertop in the process, most likely burning it because the tool will generate some heat. However, if the rectangle you want to cut out is bigger than the oval that exists, it shouldn’t be a problem. Bonus is you will have two intact oval basins to sell on eBay or Gumtree for a few dollars.
Obviously, take the taps and spout off first.
thank you. Will give it a go tomorrow. Maybe should start on a smaller bathroom - if I stuff it up, less expensive to replace
ok. Removed one. Oscillating tool did not work - glue was too deep inside. Ended up breaking the basin with a hammer - this is what I will do in the second bathroom if new basin fits well
Mission accomplish...one way or another.
Related
30/05/2023
Replace roof, raise wall height vs extend

Renovation + Home Improvement

ok thanks - yes was wondering if that should have been listed as Option Three!

17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum