Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Tiling over gap between wall and ceiling

Page 1 of 1
We’re in the middle of a bathroom reno. We’ll be tiling from floor to ceiling. Our old bathroom had cornices but our new bathroom will have square set corners. A new ceiling was put in but we kept the old walls and now there’s a 40-50mm gap between the ceiling and the walls. Our tiler said he’ll just tile over the gap so the top 40-50mm of the tiles closest to the ceiling won’t be glued to anything. He said that should be ok because our tiles are big (600x600) and there’s no need to fill the gap. Is that safe or should we be getting him to fill the gap before tiling?
Best practice is a internal metal angle to join your wall with the cieling and tile on top. My only concern would be movement of house. I would imagine it will crack the grout.
Related
2/02/2024
Gap between fence and retaining wall - unsafe space

Landscape & Garden Design

get some pool noodles and then bark mulch over the top

4/11/2023
Tiling over old adhesive

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi, I'm clearing the tiles from our horrid 50 year old bathroom and preparing to lay new ones. Bugger of a job getting the old…

23/04/2024
Tiling over slate

Flooring & Floor Covering

just pull up the slate. If you go over the top, your tiles would not have an even surface to be glued to. Im no tiler, but i can imagine a couple of things being an issue…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum