Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Capped water point unusual cost ($5000)

Page 2 of 2
Thanks for your input Splashers.

Your last paragraph is exactly my main argument to my Builder, that with one RPZD valve on the mains which supplies the whole house, doesn't protect my house!

I've requested Builder to give me a separate supply feed (through a RPZD valve) for the Capped Water Points in the toilet (i.e. the backflow from the Capped Water Points are blocked via the RPZD valve and no risk of contaminated water going to other taps around the house).
They are saying the separate feed will cost A LOT more. They are stating "as per Plumbing Code of Australia AS3500, only 1 RPDZ point is required to the house"

This has been dragging on for few months! I'm at the point where i'll just give up and do it all privately post handover.
smsaaos

Your last paragraph is exactly my main argument to my Builder, that with one RPZD valve on the mains which supplies the whole house, doesn't protect my house!

I've requested Builder to give me a separate supply feed (through a RPZD valve) for the Capped Water Points in the toilet (i.e. the backflow from the Capped Water Points are blocked via the RPZD valve and no risk of contaminated water going to other taps around the house).
They are saying the separate feed will cost A LOT more. They are stating "as per Plumbing Code of Australia AS3500, only 1 RPDZ point is required to the house"

This has been dragging on for few months! I'm at the point where i'll just give up and do it all privately post handover.

Just fyi, there are backflow prevention valves in electronic seats as safety measures. even the basic ones you can find in costco / Bunnings do have them.

If yours is a volume builder i’d say get it done after handover as in my experience it’s too tedious to deal with them on these matters.
smsaaos

Is the cistern is supplied by a dual water system (mains & rainwater)? If so, it is illegal to tap into it because bidets have to be supplied by mains water.
SaveH2O
smsaaos

Is the cistern is supplied by a dual water system (mains & rainwater)? If so, it is illegal to tap into it because bidets have to be supplied by mains water.

Cistern is supplied by the mains water (single supply), no rainwater.

Just wanting the builder to supply RPZD Valve behind each cistern supply feed (i.e. 3 valves, one for each of the 3 bathrooms), or supply 1 RPZD Valve that feeds into all three of the cistern supply feeds & does not feed to any of the other taps around the house.
nsuinteger
smsaaos

Just fyi, there are backflow prevention valves in electronic seats as safety measures. even the basic ones you can find in costco / Bunnings do have them.

If yours is a volume builder i’d say get it done after handover as in my experience it’s too tedious to deal with them on these matters.

Thanks nsuinteger

Yeah looks like I'll just get it done myself post handover.

Its Volume Builder and they have been tough to deal with on a number of small requests. Kinda spoilt all the excitement of building your first home.
Funk52
My builder tried this on with me. I spoke to the electronic bidet supplier and they provided me with documentation verifying that their product meets the relevant Australian standards and does not require an RPZD.

I gave this to the builder and they relented, so I now only need to pay for the fresh water points.

this is the only way. Ive done this on about 5-7 items on this house and about 10 on the last house. Unless you can prove to them builder that you know what you're talking about, they will try this on. In my most recent win, i got 10k knocked of an AC system
Related
21/02/2024
BOUNDARY FENCES: Timber Lapped and Capped OR Colorbond?

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all, Our boundary perimeter fences need replacing (3 sides). From everyone's experience, what would you install? Timber lapped and capped OR colorbond? Thank you.

18/07/2023
Unusual Delays and Significant Price Increase During Pre-con

Building A New House

Just to makea point about this, an approach that some people have found sucessful in negotiating these rises down, Is to provide some workings to the builder, specifying…

3/05/2023
No provision for a discharge point for the driveway

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi All, We have a fall from road to garage front. But we cannot put a drain/grate because no discharge point put by the builder. Now they complain not enough space for…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum