Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Capped water point unusual cost ($5000)

Page 1 of 2
Hey all,
I’m building a new house, it’s still at contract stage and I need to install a capped water point inside ensuite next to the toilet suite for a future upgrade (yes for an automatic toilet seat, because they’re awesome).
When I asked the builder quoted an insane amount ($5,000).

The list of items to be done to meet this requirement were something like this.
1) water proofing the whole area (outside shower, but the space inside ensuite and waste install)
2) wall tiles upgrade to 50cm
3) rpzd valve installation
4) architraves upgrade to window and door

On top of this there is a recurring annual cost to have the rpzd device tested and verified.

My question is, is this normal? Given that there are capped water points elsewhere such as dishwasher and laundry and no mention of rpzd device, this seems rather ridiculous.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,
Can't you just branch off existing tap? or does your feed direct into cistern from behind? Maybe just have builder supply & install unit? I wanted one but found out after doing research none would suit the toilet suite we selected, If I had my time again I would go for a whole Toto toilet suite rather than try for a retrofit seat/lid.
Sethor
Can't you just branch off existing tap? or does your feed direct into cistern from behind? Maybe just have builder supply & install unit? I wanted one but found out after doing research none would suit the toilet suite we selected, If I had my time again I would go for a whole Toto toilet suite rather than try for a retrofit seat/lid.

Thank you for your reply. Well, there is no nearby pipe and the toilet suite itself is a recycle point and what I need is a fresh water point. The builder has a fully integrated unit which costs around 5 grand per unit
and sadly they do not install owner supplied units
Update: managed to add an external cold water tap (just outside external wall) where the toilet is. I can later on get an extension from here.
cheers,
nsuinteger
Update: managed to add an external cold water tap (just outside external wall) where the toilet is. I can later on get an extension from here.
cheers,

Hi,

So how much did they finally charge you? Will you not need to have rpzd valve installation ? Have you already made provision by creating a hole in your external wall so that you can bring an extension when you are ready to install the automatic seat?
final change is I relocated an existing fresh water garden tap right behind where the toilet would be.
It did not incur any costs as it’s relocation.

As for other changes required, such as provisioning, the builder would not do it without following their own ridiculous way, so I’ll have to get it done after handover through a plumber.

it’s funny they would add a water point to fridge without all the drama but not to toilets...

Hope this helps.
nsuinteger
final change is I relocated an existing fresh water garden tap right behind where the toilet would be.

As for other changes required, such as provisioning, the builder would not do it without following their own ridiculous way, so I’ll have to get it done after handover through a plumber.

it’s funny they would add a water point to fridge without all the drama but not to toilets...

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply! I am in a similar situation as yours so was keen to know how you ended by managing it.

Aren't garden taps also using the the water from rainwater tank?
ozmann
nsuinteger

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply! I am in a similar situation as yours so was keen to know how you ended by managing it.

Aren't garden taps also using the the water from rainwater tank?

No problem at all.
In my case I do not have a rain water tank. So only fresh water and recycled water and the garden tap happens to be fresh water.

Is your builder Metricon as well? Couple of my friends who built with other builders mentioned they did not have such issue from theirs... (one is Henley, other is a custom builder but I cant recall the name) They were only charged for the basic plumbing works (around 200-250) per point.

Good luck and do update with how it goes.

Regards
My builder tried this on with me. I spoke to the electronic bidet supplier and they provided me with documentation verifying that their product meets the relevant Australian standards and does not require an RPZD.

I gave this to the builder and they relented, so I now only need to pay for the fresh water points.
Funk52
My builder tried this on with me. I spoke to the electronic bidet supplier and they provided me with documentation verifying that their product meets the relevant Australian standards and does not require an RPZD.

I gave this to the builder and they relented, so I now only need to pay for the fresh water points.

Thank you, can you PM me your supplier if possible? I also tried the same through their installation guidelines documents, but still the builder resisted. I'm going to try your suggestion thinking if that helps so I can save myself the trouble later on.
nsuinteger
Funk52

Thank you, can you PM me your supplier if possible? I also tried the same through their installation guidelines documents, but still the builder resisted. I'm going to try your suggestion thinking if that helps so I can save myself the trouble later on.

PM sent.

For the benefit of others reading this it was www.thebidetshop.com.au

Apparently there were safety regulations brought in a couple of years ago which placed tighter restrictions on bidet installations to avoid contamination of the mains water supply. Because the builder has no visibility over what bidet units you will be installing (unless you buy their overpriced bidets), their default response is to make you install an RPZD to cover themselves.
Our builder advised they can't add a cold water point due to cross contamination, this makes it very difficult as the the toilets will be using grey water per council requirements, now our option to have a bidet is to be done post handover for the powder room, I don't think we can even get it done post handover upstairs which is disappointing.
Funk52
nsuinteger
Funk52

PM sent.

For the benefit of others reading this it was http://www.thebidetshop.com.au

Apparently there were safety regulations brought in a couple of years ago which placed tighter restrictions on bidet installations to avoid contamination of the mains water supply. Because the builder has no visibility over what bidet units you will be installing (unless you buy their overpriced bidets), their default response is to make you install an RPZD to cover themselves.

Hi,

I contacted thebidetshop.com.au and they mentioned that the bidet can be connected to the standard water inlet that goes to the WC which gets water from the rain water tank. Is that true? Normally people connect fresh water to bidet because you would use it clean yourself. How have you managed the water connection to the bidet?
I convinced my builder to install fresh water points.

The bidet shop sent me a copy of the certification test that was done on the Coway BA13B model and I sent this to my builder.

If you want a copy pm me with your email address.
Facing similar issue where builder has quoted $2000 for providing capped bidet point at 3 different bathroom.

And for a Fridge Cold Water outlet, its only quoted $175. This is what I'm pretty much after, a standard water outlet in the bathrooms.

Anyone had success recently in getting their builder to provide a standard water outlet without the exuberant cost (without the need for builder to install RPZD)?
ozmann
Hi,

I contacted thebidetshop.com.au and they mentioned that the bidet can be connected to the standard water inlet that goes to the WC which gets water from the rain water tank. Is that true? Normally people connect fresh water to bidet because you would use it clean yourself. How have you managed the water connection to the bidet?

* Replying to an old post...

This is not compliant as per AS/NZS 3500.1

"Only drinking water shall be supplied to plumbing fixtures or outlets for human consumption, bathing, food preparation or utensil washing."
So our builder is insisting in installing an RPZD from the water mains (and supplying to the WHOLE house) if we are to get capped water points in the each of the 3 toilet for future Bidet/Douche seat installation.

Doesn't the RPZD 'supplying to the WHOLE house' from the mains beats the purpose of the requirement of the RPZD valve? My limited understanding is that the valve is required to prevent any backflow of contaminated water from the bidet into the mains and water lines to rest of the house. So in case f there is a pressure drop on the mains supply, the RPZD valve will stop any backflow of contaminated water into the pipes.

But if the RPZD valve is supplying to the WHOLE house, then if there's a pressure drop on the mains supply, there is the RISK that contaminated water from the bidet may backflow into on of the taps around the house when its turned on.

So question is should the Capped Water points in toilet (for future Bidet/Douche) installation be connect through a separate pipe line from the mains with the RPZD valve? Or RPZD valve connected at the mains and supplying ALL water points in the house including the capped water points in the toilets....?

Any clarifications from experts (or those who have an understanding of RPZD valves) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
I didn't proceed with the proposal from builder as it seemed unreasonable the dumbest part was builder had their own line of toilet suite with built in automatic bidet seats that did not require any such rpzd value solution. It's just that they quoted premium price for the upgrade from standard. When I asked why their own would not require rpzd value, they said its because they are doing the installation and all points will be terminated at the connection point for the suite. I did arrange for a garden tap just outside the exterier wall of where master room toilet is so when I decide I want to upgrade I can ask plumber's help to do a pass through point from there.

good luck.
Gees...WOW at some of the tricks these builders try to play. Good on you for rejecting their ridiculous 'solution'.

That is some great out of the box thinking in getting an external garden tap opposite the ensuite toilet! Lucky your house layout was such that this was possible. Not so lucky for me as two of the toilets are behind internal walls.

Cheers
Any Bidet or hand held shower hose in baths should have RPZ valves fitted by law to comply. The bidet shop dont always tell you all the info as they want to sell products but if you check with plumber or regulations yourself you will find you are obligated to install the valve. The water company that feeds your home will also need to be notified as if there are any issues with the mains and you dont comply it can be hefty fines.

The valves can be retrofitted either beside the toilet or on the external wall outside the toilet if applicable so it protects the rest of the house as nobody wants particles coming out of their kitchen taps. If the nozzle of the bidet spray goes below the top rim of toilet bowl than cross contamination will occur, hence the need for these valves.

You can put one on the mains at the front but that is only protecting the mains and your neighbours its not protecting your house. The are strict rules n regs on bidets for a very good reason to stop cross contamination in the home
Related
21/02/2024
BOUNDARY FENCES: Timber Lapped and Capped OR Colorbond?

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all, Our boundary perimeter fences need replacing (3 sides). From everyone's experience, what would you install? Timber lapped and capped OR colorbond? Thank you.

18/07/2023
Unusual Delays and Significant Price Increase During Pre-con

Building A New House

Just to makea point about this, an approach that some people have found sucessful in negotiating these rises down, Is to provide some workings to the builder, specifying…

3/05/2023
No provision for a discharge point for the driveway

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi All, We have a fall from road to garage front. But we cannot put a drain/grate because no discharge point put by the builder. Now they complain not enough space for…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum