Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Help with my bad builder/tiler

Page 1 of 1
So long story short I had a leak in the wall and due to the work required to locate and rectify the leak our insurer chose to strip the entire bathroom and start again from wall linings, waterproofing and tiling.

The contractor that the insurer sent is a local builder and was nothing but trouble from the start and we are about to go to the principal contractor and insurer with complaints as we are refusing to accept the work as it is.

My question to those more experienced than us would be am I being pedantic or is the work just too rough to accept?

Aside from the tiling work below the trades have left paint drips and cement on walls and chipped wall corners, I caught them sanding the ceiling without using drop sheets in our kitchen and lounge and the plaster repair is a disgrace (leak came through ceiling).

Gaps between cornice and tile (the cracked look on the left is part of the tile design) the join between the tile and the cornice varies between an open gap and ceiling white paint over the tile.

Painted over tile.

There are two corners like this on the outside of the shower step and they are sharp enough that they would cause an injury particularly to little feet..

Hard to see but this is the edge of the shower step and it was cut with an angle grinder, the cut is far from smooth and straight. Surely this could have been a straight and smooth cut?
fifodad
My question to those more experienced than us would be am I being pedantic or is the work just too rough to accept?

No you are not and yes it is. Trouble is with a fixed price contract, you are burning into their profit so they will do the minimum possible and hope that they wear you down so you don't complain, or if you do, that the onerous complaint process wears you down. With a cost plus contract, you are paying and it’s just cheaper, simpler and easier for you to fix the mistakes and clean up yourself

fifodad
Hard to see but this is the edge of the shower step and it was cut with an angle grinder, the cut is far from smooth and straight. Surely this could have been a straight and smooth cut?

It is common for tilers to use angle grinder to cut tiles, but it is just a sad fact that some of them are more skilled at it than others.
I should add that as its an insurance job it was a fixed cost and we were given a copy of the scope with costings from the insurer so we were able to see what the builder is being paid per item.

The insurer has been very good and have said we should not sign off on the work if anything is not acceptable, I can see a bit of a battle coming....

Its so dissappointing to see a lack of care and pride, the insurer might be paying but ultimately its our home and I just cant let them get away with a half assed job.
fifodad
I should add that as its an insurance job it was a fixed cost and we were given a copy of the scope with costings from the insurer so we were able to see what the builder is being paid per item.

Exactly - quote low to win the work and then spend the minimum to make the most you can.

fifodad
I can see a bit of a battle coming....

Good luck with it.
arcadelt
fifodad

Exactly - quote low to win the work and then spend the minimum to make the most you can.

fifodad
I can see a bit of a battle coming....

Good luck with it.

Cheers, sometimes you just have to dig your heels in and stand up for yourself.
Related
5/12/2023
Concerns with my Tiler's job. With Pictures

Bathrooms and Laundry

Regardless of wall hung toilet or floor pan toilet your feet will be right on drain, seems to me the waste should not be in that location given the design. Also are you…

15/08/2023
Is this a bad situation - easement and manhole on property

General Discussion

You might be able to apply to divert the sewer at your expense. In NSW you would contact a Water services co-ordinator and they would give you advice as to whether or not…

24/10/2023
Really really bad window installation

Windows & Doors

do not pay until you are satisfied with workmanship windows require flashing over the head archithrave and up under weatherboards

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum