Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

tile lippage

Page 1 of 1

About a year ago I had a tiler in to do about $9000 worth of tiling. I supplied the tiles, 300 x 300 rectified ceramics. After the job was complete I pointed out what I thought was excessive lippage and the tiler blamed the tiles that I had supplied. He hasn't yet told me exactly was wrong with them. As a result I withheld payment of $500.

I have checked the flatness of the remaining 25 tiles by placing them on a ground flat stoneware bench top. There is no perceivable "rocking" that I can detect, which would indicate that the tiles are flat????

The att photo shows a 3mm dia. drill under a straight edge at the worst location. There are another 9 places where a 2mm dia. drill passes under.

As I understand it, AS3958.1 and "NSW Fair Trading guide to Standards and Tolerances" allows a maximum of 2mm lippage.

Thoughts/opinions of other forum members????

Thanks.
Was the subfloor screed to ensure evenness?
The floor itself is 18mm Hardiepanel FC sheet. The tiler himself did the waterproofing and the graded screeding.

As far as I can see, AS3958 clearly states "Tiling is defective if the lippage between two adjacent tiles exceeds 2mm."

re grouting....that same AS3958 states "finished grout is defective if not uniform in colour, smooth, without voids, pinholes or low spots." Also, "grout is defective if it becomes loose within 24 months of handover."

My grouting conforms to none of those!!!!!
Get another tiler
Related
8/07/2023
Variation in white tile colour

Renovation + Home Improvement

Looking for advice on whether this variation in tile colour is acceptable. The large tile on the left was used in my main bathroom renovation 1 year ago. My ensuite…

24/07/2023
Firstyle Tile Selection

General Discussion

Hi Kaiser85, We are building with Firstyle Homes. Our build has just started, slab pour is on Saturday (hopefully!). Their standard range is pretty good. We did our…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum