Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

ELECTRICAL OUTLET FOR BIDET

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

My builder (Wisdom Homes) gave me keys to the house 19th December 2016. There are a number rectification works outstanding and the builder is dragging his feet. I have decided to take it up with the NSW Civil and Administration Tribunal.

One of the rectification works relates to electrical outlets in bathroom for bidet.

The contract drawings show a dual 10A socket outlet for bidet as shown in the photograph but which is missing. The builder's electrician (Sydney Electrical Group) will not install the socket outlet. The electrician would not provide me in writing the reasons as to why. I suspect it has to do with the proximity to the shower outlet and I have marked on the photo the distances from the shower head to the outlet.

The electrician is proposing to hardwire the bidet cable. However this would not only void the warranty, but also make it impossible to isolate power for regular cleaning purposes.

Can anyone explain what the problem is, and if there is one, perhaps recommend a solution please. I need to put this in my Tribunal application.

Thanks in advance.

Jaya
jayasooriah
Can anyone explain what the problem is, and if there is one, perhaps recommend a solution please. I need to put this in my Tribunal application.

I'm not an electrician, but based on discussion with mine during our build about the legal allowances for power point proximity to water (direct and indirect) I suspect you might be correct that it is a regulation issue. However, what I can suggest is the following:

* Does the bidet originate from Australia? If so, contact the supplier to ask them about it. Their product must conform with Australian Standards and laws, so they may be able to help to explain any limitations.

* If the final solution is to hardwire it, you could have an isolation switch added in the circuit some distance away (perhaps higher on the wall above where the current power point is located) so you can cut the power for cleaning.

My final advice is to not go head on in your approach to solving the issue. I get that you want what was stipulated in the contract, but always best to to find a way to tackle the problem on a path that allows you to eventually move to a solution together.
jayasooriah
Hi everyone,

My builder (Wisdom Homes) gave me keys to the house 19th December 2016. There are a number rectification works outstanding and the builder is dragging his feet. I have decided to take it up with the NSW Civil and Administration Tribunal.

One of the rectification works relates to electrical outlets in bathroom for bidet.

The contract drawings show a dual 10A socket outlet for bidet as shown in the photograph but which is missing. The builder's electrician (Sydney Electrical Group) will not install the socket outlet. The electrician would not provide me in writing the reasons as to why. I suspect it has to do with the proximity to the shower outlet and I have marked on the photo the distances from the shower head to the outlet.

The electrician is proposing to hardwire the bidet cable. However this would not only void the warranty, but also make it impossible to isolate power for regular cleaning purposes.

Thanks in advance.

Jaya

Hi Jaya,

Please PM me your contact details and I will review your concerns next week.

Regards,

Mark Scully
General Manager
Wisdom Homes
Hi arcadelt,

The bidet was supplied by an Australian company and is Australian approved for sale as a user installed appliance. Hard wiring it to the mains creates more problems that it solves.

I mentioned going to the Tribunal because the dispute relating to rectification works to ensuites (not just electrical) went to the NSW Office of Fair Trading 20th December 2017. There being no resolution to date I have been advised to make an application the Tribunal. I have all the information I need for the tiling and plumbing works. The purpose of this post was to help me state what needs be done in relation to the electrical works.

Unless the electrician (Sydney Electrical Group) can give reasons for refusing to install the outlet it is hard to propose a solution. The advice I have is that the position of the outlet is in Zone 2, and that it may need to be enclosed in addition to being protected by 30mA RCD circuit.

Kind regards,

Jaya
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your message. I have PM'd you my contact details and project reference numbers.

In relation to ensuites, I need Wisdom Homes to agree to carry out the following rectification works as notified to your maintenance team leader:

works relating to ENSUITE 1:
- remove and replace damaged vanity basin
- remove and replace damaged floor tiles x 2
- remove and reinstall toilet suite to close cistern cover
- install missing power outlets

works relating to ENSUITE 2:
- remove toilet suite
- remove floor tiles
- remove shower grate drains and floor trap
- install "preferred tile" selected on 14/04/2018
- replace shower grate drains and floor trap
- replace toilet suite
- install missing power outlets

I believe the tiler has agreed to the tiling works at no cost to Wisdom Homes. All is left is for Wisdom Homes to agree to plumbing (vanity basin and toilet suites) and electrical works.

Kind regards,

Jaya
WisdomHomes
Hi Jaya,

Regards,

Mark Scully
General Manager
Wisdom Homes

Hi Mark,

I sent you the information you request by PM on 1st May 2018. I have not heard from you. Please advise.

Kind regards,

Jaya
jayasooriah
WisdomHomes
Hi Jaya,

Regards,

Mark Scully
General Manager
Wisdom Homes

Hi Mark,

I sent you the information you request by PM on 1st May 2018. I have not heard from you. Please advise.

Kind regards,

Jaya

Hi Jaya,

Our team are in contact with you to work through this. I have seen the email correspondence. Feel to free to PM me again if the matter isn't resolved satisfactorily.

Regards,

Mark
WisdomHomes
Hi Jaya,

Our team are in contact with you to work through this. I have seen the email correspondence. Feel to free to PM me again if the matter isn't resolved satisfactorily.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply.

On 1st May 2018 your maintenance team advised "GPO not being able to be installed due to construction constraints". Today I am advised "installing a power point will make the room non-compliant". Is it difficult for your team to explain exactly what the problem is? Does the team think the outlet is not in Zone 2?

http://www.build.com.au/distance-betwee ... wer-points
https://www.renovatorstore.com.au/blog/ ... o-be-safe/

I cannot see what the constraint or compliance issue is so long as the outlet is appropriately rated (IP44 or above) or enclosed, and also protected by a 30mA RCD circuit.

This requirement was raised with Wisdom Homes at the time the electrical options were discussed, paid for, and so marked on the drawings that form part of the contract. I raised this with your maintenance team way back in 19th February 2018 as formal dispute. I am anxious to have it resolved ASAP.

Aside from the power outlet issue, please advise if your maintenance team agrees to all the rectification works to ENSUITE 1 and ENSUITE 2 as listed.

Thanks again..

Kind regards,

Jaya
Related
13/01/2024
Bidet - RPZ (Reduced Pressure Zone) valve

Bathrooms and Laundry

First time building 2 storey home, is under construction (in Framing stage) in NSW. I have 3 toilets and need bidet spray in…

20/07/2023
Electrical

General Discussion

Must be labour only. One of those how long is a piece of wire questions.

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum