Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Frameless shower screen design - will it leak?

Page 1 of 1
Hi

Rectangular shower, 1900 in length, three sides are tiled. Frameless shower screen 1900 from wall to wall. Ceiling mount shower each end.

Design A: 600 fixed glass, 700 door, 600 fixed glass. I.e door in middle.

Benefits: Symmetry
Concerns: Both showers could technically leak under frameless door (as there's only a 600mm fixed piece before the glass door starts)

Design B: 1200 fixed glass, 700 door off wall.

Benefits: one shower (fixed 1200 piece end) will not leak - this can be regular shower. The second shower is likely to leak under door but this should will be used infrequently.

Concerns: Symmetry

Which design would go for?
First one for symmetry...but it’s a bathroom, so why worry about leakage? You haven’t got carpet outside the shower have you?
Usually you would have either a (wooden or Hebel) step or (better) a slab recess for the frameless shower, so theoretically it can leak only if you get a clogging in your wasting pipe or something.
This is probably a bit late, but you could get a plastic channel type thing, that helps to seal frameless shower doors and stop leaks.

Just did a google search and here are some examples (I'm not affiliated with this store):
https://www.yss.com.au/products/shower_screen_water_seals.php#10mm_glass_1000mm_length

Then I would go with Design A, to keep it symmetrical.
Thanks - that's a great solution.
Related
26/11/2023
Frameless bath screen.

General Discussion

Thanks for the advise,much appreciated👍

13/01/2024
Shower screen exploded

Bathrooms and Laundry

Your shower screen has failed in the way it is designed to fail with tempered glass. You could replace it with laminated safety glass but make sure it has AS standards logo on it

7/09/2023
Leak in wall new house

General Discussion

If you make sure all taps inside and out are turned off, what does the water meter show if you leave it for a while.

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum