Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Recess floors to all wet areas

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We're building with Eden Brae- Livingston 23 and currently at the Tender stage.
I've noticed that the wet areas have a 3cm (approx) step up in many displays homes.

Has anyone recessed their wet areas so they become flush with the rest of the house? Meaning, recessing our slab to accommodate the wet areas. So when the tilers lay the screed for the floor tiles there won’t be a 3cm step up. I totally think is worth it as it creates such a seamless look between the wet areas and the rest of the home! Eden Brae is currently charging $1800. Our Tender Consultant can't guarantee that all areas would be the same level once titles and carpets are laid. So I'm hesitant in going through the recessed floors. I would love to know if anyone has gone through this or can offer any other solution.

Thanks,
Abi
Hi Abi!
Our builder included this at no charge for our place - it is worth noting though that I actually think it is going to end up a step down into our wet areas once we put carpet in that side of the house - as they drop it so it is pretty much level once complete with the existing slab. I personally do love the look of it - but I would be interested to get measurements of how high your carpet and underlay are as they may absorb the 3cm?

We're doing this right now with our Eden Brae Drysdale 27 - they added about $1200 to our contract for the three wet areas (ensuite, bathroom and laundry) to be recessed by 50mm, so after door coverings are installed they will be flush

HI joannapaulp,

Any chance you can give me an update on your recessed wet areas? I'm curious on the results. Thanks
Slab went down last week, frame has been delivered but not up yet, here's what it looks like currently

Hi joannapaulp,

Curious if your tiles have been laid yet? If so can you provide any photos?
Not yet, not even moved inside yet. Bricking about 75% complete

Hi joannapaulp,

Any updates on your floors and tiling?
Wet area floor tiling scheduled to start next week

Hi joannapaulp,

How did your internal tiling go?
Looks good, no steps is awesome

They also ended up doing a screed on the Alfresco as well, so basically no step when going outside either

Looks great!
Photos have reassured our decision to make all the floors flush.
Thank you for posting images
joannapaulp
We're doing this right now with our Eden Brae Drysdale 27 - they added about $1200 to our contract for the three wet areas (ensuite, bathroom and laundry) to be recessed by 50mm, so after door coverings are installed they will be flush

We are thinking of building with Clarendon, but they are charging us $3500 for the recessed floors to all wet areas for a double storey house. Does anyone think this is excessive? And would building recessed floors help with waterproof or just simply leveling the floor?
The 50mm step down in the slab height is required in the NCC. This is to allow the tilers to get enough fall to a floor waste. So the cost of levelling out at the transition point should be bugger all.... I would level out every wet area except the laundry.

Related
3/10/2023
Laundry floor has recess under cupboard

Laundry

Waterproofing wet areas, including laundries is a requirement now. I don't know if it was 12 years (for a laundry) but I can't see why it would t have been. Have you got…

18/07/2023
Ryobi wet saw C-125A blade size?

General Discussion

All sorted guys. Just needed to buy a blade with the correct bush. Dunno how to delete this post, can't find any help file. Cheers.

13/06/2023
Kitchen floors

Old Home Restoration / Renovation

Awesome, I can do that. Thanks mate.

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum