Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

What tiles for shower base?

Page 1 of 1
Got a bathroom reno booked in and in the process of selecting and buying the fixtures and fittings.

The shower will be a walk-in approx. 1700 x 900. I will be putting polished porcelain on the floor and wall of the bathroom proper, but am wondering if it's ok (i.e., safe) to use the polished porcelain on the shower base as well. The other options with the preferred tile are honed, textured and "standard," whatever that is. They are the Alto range from Beaumont if that helps.

Any advice or personal experience much appreciated.
Polished porcelain is fine to use in wet areas. So much easier to clean. Can get slippery when wet for the elderly. Honed is ok too but can be hard to clean after time.
Thanks for your reply.

I did a forum search and nothing relevant came up, but a quick Google had heaps of results on the topic on these forums. Like others my concern is the slipperiness of polished porcelain but you can't beat the way it looks. ?
purrfection
Thanks for your reply.

I did a forum search and nothing relevant came up, but a quick Google had heaps of results on the topic on these forums. Like others my concern is the slipperiness of polished porcelain but you can't beat the way it looks. ?

It is not really that slippery when wet. I have seen hundreds of polished porcelains in showers and no complaints from the owners.
Related
11/12/2023
POLYMARBLE shower base

Bathrooms and Laundry

I have seen poly marble shower bases last in excess of 30 years

3/05/2023
Preparing a court base

General Discussion

I've filled, levelled and compacted around 100mm of roadbase in preparation to lay some outdoor court tiles. Prior to doing the final compaction, I dusted the top with…

27/06/2023
Fixing a shower head height mistake

Bathrooms and Laundry

I'll look into different shower heads and ask the plumber about some engineering and see what he says. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum