Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Cement sheet question

Page 1 of 1
I'm not sure if I should have stated a new topic or not, but if I've done the wrong thing, I'm sorry.
Slightly related to the splashback thing.....but not in the shower recess....
On pulling off the old ceramic wall tiles, I've found that the original builder put plaster down to the tile line, then installed cement sheet, with no plaster under it. Is this normal, or should I replaster the whole wall and then install cement sheet over the top in the areas I want to tile. Not sure what is best practice here.
It is normal practice to tile over fibre-cement sheeting in wet areas and then use gyprock (preferrably Aquacheck) around the tiled area. The tile end up closer to the finished height of the plaster as the fibre-cement is only 6mm thick.
Dukekamaya
It is normal practice to tile over fibre-cement sheeting in wet areas and then use gyprock (preferrably Aquacheck) around the tiled area. The tile end up closer to the finished height of the plaster as the fibre-cement is only 6mm thick.

That's pretty much what I thought. When I did the kitchen, I plasterboarded the whole thing first then installed the cement sheet over the top of that, and I thought then that it was a bit of overkill.
Related
6/10/2023
Bick tiles on cement sheet - exterior wall cladding

General Discussion

Hi, Currently building, we are on a sloping block so we have from floor level to the roof in axon cladding. Below floor level to the ground I want to put brick facings /…

13/02/2024
Fixing to inteternal fibre cement wall

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

All my inside walls are Fibre Cement & House has Steel frames... Tricky when one wants to hang pictures or do Wainscoating Paneling up the hallway. Those little nail…

31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum