Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

How to replace a tap and a T-shaped pipe in the vanity ?

Page 1 of 1
I tried to fix a tap in the ensuite and apparently while trying to unscrew the topmost part of it I have damaged the pipe connection underneath as I have turned the tap a bit.
The tap was rusted through so I had to apply extra force.
Now, the pipe connection is leaking (see a red arrow on the photo below).
The tap is not an issue any more as I do mind replacing the rusted tap with a new one.
But to replace the tap and the pipe underneath I need to unscrew three connections - one at each tap, and one at the faucet (see green arrows on the photo below).
Then I will need to get a new tap, a new prefabricated T-shaped pipe with threaded connectors, and get it installed.
I do not see any reason why I cannot do it by myself.

The only problem is that it does not look like I have enough room to use plumbers wrenches (see the photo) or spanners.
The space is so confined that I hardly can reach the nuts.

Is it possible that to get access to the connectors I need to lift the washbasin from the vanity ?

Thank you.

Anyone ?
Cut the silicon around the basin, lift it out and work on it a waist height. A lot easier that contorting yourself upside down inside the vanity cabinet particularly if you are using vice grips as shown and not an open ended spanner .

Stewie
Thanks for response.
I do actually have open ended spanners but even with them I hardly can do anything in there due to lack of space.
OK, with that in mind I'd still do what I originally suggest. The fact that all your connections - both H & C water plus the waste pipe are just screw fittings makes it a lot easier to disconnect and work on it rather than contorting yourself in a plumbers yoga pose.

Stewie
Good point. I think I will follow your advice. Thanks.
Sorry for asking again but I am wondering if there is any way to undo a nut in the area with limited access like the one on the photos where neither open ended spanners nor vice grips would work.
Have you tried to undo the tapware from the top. it might then drop down and make it easy to undo.

When i got no time to sit at the computer. I use tapatalk.

old pipes in my rental. same idea but had solid wall pipes which held them up.

When i got no time to sit at the computer. I use tapatalk.
hold the blue nut with your finger, and turn the tap spout anticlockwise which will loosen the nut, undo it while gradually lifting the spout and get it out of the way. Then undo the big flat nuts on the top of teh vanity that hold the tap spindles onto the vanity. the whole setup should now fall down so you can undo the flexiohoses off of the wall, or if u cant turn teh water mains off, you leave the flexihoses connected and do the work there in the vanity cabinet.
You should be able to reuse that fitting, just undo it from teh spindles with teh spanner, then adjust teh spanner to the exact size of a section of the copper pipe which isnt bent, then turn it around the bent bit to get it roughly back to shape.
Then head off to teh hardware store and get some nylon compression olives instead of the brass ones and tighten it all back up n test for leaks. Should work a charm.
Foma22
Then I will need to get a new tap, a new prefabricated T-shaped pipe with threaded connectors, and get it installed.
I do not see any reason why I cannot do it by myself.

Coming in late here, but you don't need a prefabricated T pipe. Basically when you buy a new tap and spout set it will come with the T pipe. All you need to do is to cut it to length, pop on the threaded screw on locks, insert it into the tap piece and tighten. The lock will hold the pipe in place and seal it so it doesn't leak.

PS cannot see your pictures, my comment is assuming the T piece is under the sink and it isn't one of those fancy ones that go on top.
Thanks everyone.
Please find below a link to my "Missing manual on fixing dripping taps" :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-by5E ... sp=sharing
Related
30/05/2023
Replace roof, raise wall height vs extend

Renovation + Home Improvement

ok thanks - yes was wondering if that should have been listed as Option Three!

17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum