Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Can Shower Screens Be Left Off For Handover?

Page 1 of 1
As the title asks...
Can I ask the builder to remove shower screens from the contract and still be complete enough to allow handover and bank to sign off on?
I want to take advantage of family that work in glazing factory and they will measure, fabricate and install all my glass items (splashback, mirrors and frameless shower screens).
If I can do this, I'll be able to save money and upgrade from semi frameless to frameless at the same time
Got no long winded answer.
No.
We have left ours off to do after handover for the same reason.
Why is it compulsory to have a shower screen anyway?
We have left ours off for after handover too
We asked our builder, but they said they wont do waterproofing if we pulled out the shower screens...rather odd.
monalisa
We asked our builder, but they said they wont do waterproofing if we pulled out the shower screens...rather odd.

Monalisa, they can definitely remove the shower screens and just provide extra waterproofing. It cost us approximately $150 per bathroom to provide extra waterproofing after removing both shower screens.

We're also building with M.
Hmm well I've just been told by Clarendon that they need to be included.
Interesting as we now have bathrooms being designed with NO screens at all.
I know they are not a council requirement so in the voice of Pauline Hanson.. "Please Explain" lol
Its not just a case of leaving them out of the design, there are considerations of the distance and direction of the shower head from edge of the shower recess.
Yeah possibly. But as long as it's waterproofed it's still not a issue. Have seen many showers that don't have doors and some that have no screen at all, so still should not be a real drama.
I have however offered to have my screens fitted prior to handover. I can get them measured, fabricated and installed in 3 - 4 days so I think they should be able to bend to that
Sounds like builders just wanting their cut. I don.t have shower screens in 3 of my bathrooms by design.
Yeah that's my thought as well Mark. Considering they add at least 20% to every item they provide.. the more you do yourself the less they make.
I don't begrudge anyone from making a profit, afterall they need that to stay in business BUT.. do they need to make 300% overall in 1 house? lol
mgilla
Its not just a case of leaving them out of the design, there are considerations of the distance and direction of the shower head from edge of the shower recess.

I agree with you and then also there is a matter of warranty.

If you get someone else to install shower screens then you are the builder but you will expect first builder to warrant waterproofing, right? All you will be doing is letting him off because your installer could be blamed for the leaks.

NOT A GOOD IDEA in my opinion!
Yes warranty wise you could have a he said she said situation. For my house I have brick walls and extended them to have a spotless entry that will also be a towel off area. It did cost 1500 per shower to be hobless.

It does get messy.
Yeah our showers are also hobless and the sceens pretty much sit square against floor and wall tiles. Builder offers a frameless shower screen so I am not installing anything they don't offer themselves. Either way... I may have had a win with this today... Time will tell lol
There also needs to be considerations in terms of power points. Power cannot be connected to any power point that is within spray distance of a shower head unless there is a physical barrier in place (or so I have been told by family members in the trade). In a lot of builds the power will only be connected at the meter box after shower screens are installed for this reason.
Wel I wonder how that stands up with power points fitted just above the vanity basin. Someone grabs a handful of water and splashs face and PowerPoint at same time. Wouldn't that be the same issue?
The simplest consideration is that of profit
Shower screens are in the contract and builder is paid to provide and install them(builder makes profit on that)
Now you want to save money by pulling them out?( builder's profit is reduced)
Get a reality check.
If I was your builder I would not do it.
Builder is not required to agree to a variation and if he does it will be on his terms.(which most likely means you won't save anything and you still got to put them in and likely lose your warranty)
Well aware of that simple consideration.
Also well aware of how much profit large project builders make on every little aspect of the build.
Do I begrudge them from making a profit? Or course not. I do however begrudge them make a absolute motsa on every tiny item.
Would not have damaged their profit to any noticeable degree by allowing me to install my own screens. I wasn't asking to do anything d0dgy, I wasn't asking anyone to cut their throats although you might have been lead to believe that.
It's pretty much the same scenario I am going to have with tiles.
Clarendon won't let me purchase my own tiles and supply to them (as the tiles in their "range" are not what I want) for their tiler to install.
Why? Because they won't warrant them.
Really? That's a laugh.. Because the tiles I want I can buy from Beaumont, which is where I have to select my tiles from for Clarendon to use. Beaumont also have a massive sale on right now and I would like to take advantage of that.
A reality check! Lol I can put that another way... Get real.
Roomeat
Well aware of that simple consideration.
Also well aware of how much profit large project builders make on every little aspect of the build.
Do I begrudge them from making a profit? Or course not. I do however begrudge them make a absolute motsa on every tiny item.
Would not have damaged their profit to any noticeable degree by allowing me to install my own screens. I wasn't asking to do anything d0dgy, I wasn't asking anyone to cut their throats although you might have been lead to believe that.
It's pretty much the same scenario I am going to have with tiles.
Clarendon won't let me purchase my own tiles and supply to them (as the tiles in their "range" are not what I want) for their tiler to install.
Why? Because they won't warrant them.
Really? That's a laugh.. Because the tiles I want I can buy from Beaumont, which is where I have to select my tiles from for Clarendon to use. Beaumont also have a massive sale on right now and I would like to take advantage of that.
A reality check! Lol I can put that another way... Get real.

Must admit I have a similar issue at the moment. I want to install C-bus (an electrical system) with me supplying the hardware but as I cannot get onsite the sparky installing it. We are at the point where the builders sparky will run the control cables for me and for me to install the switches, sensors etc after handover. They will do the cable on a supply and labor basis, but they won't accept me buying the cable (which is a special CAT5 type cable). When it comes to the 240V side they won't allow me to provide hardware, nor do that afterwards. I had suggested they run a 240V cable to a sub-board, run all the light circuits to the subboard and I have a sparky finish it afterwards. But answer is no, providing hardware causes warranty issues, despite me being able to show it is new, or suggesting they are not responsible for hardware I provide. As for doing it afterwards they say they must provide lights to get certificate of occupancy. I call BS on that actually, as my understanding is power just needs to be safe to get a certificate of occupacy. So having 240V to a sub board terminated properly is safe and having light cables run and coiled up in the celing also safe. Bit like banging head against wall.

So for me to get it I need to get them to buy the special cable and hardware, be charged retail by sparky and builder add their 20%.

So cost has now gone from me being able to provide hardware for around $6000 (excluding switches and sensors which I can do after) to now around $10,000.

Now don't begrudge them a profit, but seriously this is silly, and more silly are the excuses as to why not.

Oh as it is more work the sparky will make more and presumably the builder will make more too, but no that much more is not enough they want me to pay significantly more than it should really cost. Also surprised they don't want the sparky to do the programming too, though don't think they understand what c-bus is otherwise they would have tried.

Anyway still a work in progress and I see similarities to the issue being discussed here.
Related
20/12/2023
Nitrogen gas left in the compressor, is it normal practice

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

you need a fridgie to answer but I would think you vac the whole system then add gas if you have a leak, unless it is new install with the gas already loaded, in that case…

14/03/2024
Junk left behind in an old house

Old Home Restoration / Renovation

Hi, just discovered all these junks left behind under the floor. Could any of these be asbestos? Best to leave as it is or clean up? Thank you for your thoughts

13/02/2024
Safety screens! Worth them?

Safer Living

Hi everyone. I am a single mother with little daughter, living in a small tourist town in WA Australia. I am thinking to install security screens to all the doors and…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum