Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Wall hung toilet

Page 1 of 1
Is there anyone who has wall hung toilets in their house and if not, why?
We are both from Europe and we are wondering why these are not common here in Australia.
Never had any problems with these, so to me there is no reason not to have a wall hung unit.
With an in wall cistern? We have two of these and we've never had any problems with them. We were apparently the last build through with our builder to have them, they then stopped offering it as an option so they are either very unpopular or there was problems.
I wanted one when we renovated earlier this year, but my husband said NO! We've had problems with our sewerage and cisterns over the years and he said he didn't want to have to demolish anything to get access to the problem! I was looking for a short profile toilet as we have a door that opens out almost into it......... through to the laundry.It seems like the answer to the problem. I suspect the builder stopped doing them as he didn't want to have to go back ripping out walls to rectify any problems with the toilets? Here's the finished item, (not wall hung). You can see the door just past it. http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8946/img2061edit.jpg
I personally dont like the look of them, probably because im not used to them, and the only ones i see are generally in pubs and restaurants.. so i suppose they remind me of pubs and restaurants.. and as a plumber i truly loathe and lament having to install these, mucho annoying!
That been said, if installed correctly, theres no reason why they should give more grief than a normal toilet. If anything goes wrong with anything inside the cistern, the buttons come off the wall and everything can come out to be serviced or replaced(very tight but possible).

But yeah just due to price, and having to build some sort of false wall to hide the cistern, i wont be getting one, but they shouldn't really give a huge amount of dramas.
Quote:
joles
With an in wall cistern? We have two of these and we've never had any problems with them.

Yes, with an in wall cistern.

Quote:
That been said, if installed correctly, theres no reason why they should give more grief than a normal toilet. If anything goes wrong with anything inside the cistern, the buttons come off the wall and everything can come out to be serviced or replaced(very tight but possible).

Just like we thought and where told by a staff member from Reece. Suppose it is like servicing a small european car versus a big 4WD, it can be done but access is tight.
It depends a lot on your plumber and builder.We installed a few over the years and never had a problem but they were both fiddly to install ( extra stud work , cistern in wall etc etc ) and quite a bit more expensive to buy. They did look good though and I liked the fact that they were off the floor.

Stewie
DoubleDutch
Is there anyone who has wall hung toilets in their house and if not, why?
We are both from Europe and we are wondering why these are not common here in Australia.
Never had any problems with these, so to me there is no reason not to have a wall hung unit.

I have not just one of these, but two!!

One in the main bathroom and one in the ensuite. Both bathrooms were renovated 3 years ago and we have had absolutely no problems with them at all.

Main bathroom

Ensuite

2fk
Sorry to bump up an old thread.
I'm hoping some of you can recommend me a wall hung toilet.

We were all set on Caroma Stirling (wall facing) until we came across the idea of a wall hung toilet. The cistern can back into the linen closet on the other side of the wall, allowing access if needed. We are considering this to save space in our poky bathroom.

What one do you have? Is it good? I am terrified of buying a bad toilet.

I've been looking at Caroma Urbane, but it's $1157 plus the buttons...
http://www.caroma.com.au/bathrooms/toil ... visi-suite
Rather than the Urbane, what about this?

http://www.reece.com.au/bathrooms/produ ... an-9503512

Pretty similar looking and heaps cheaper!

Depends on what buttons you want, obviously, but the Hideaway+ Cistern wall hung is about $500, then the buttons range from under a hundred to just below two hundred? And there's plenty of choice!
http://www.reece.com.au/bathrooms/produ ... deaway+%2B
CH2012
Sorry to bump up an old thread.
We were all set on Caroma Stirling (wall facing) until we came across the idea of a wall hung toilet. The cistern can back into the linen closet on the other side of the wall, allowing access if needed. We are considering this to save space in our poky bathroom.

Access can be via the panel at the front, so no need to have it in the linen. Larger buttons means easier access. We have chosen mechanical rather than pneumatic buttons, the mechanical are usually the larger ones. Sorry can not show you any pictures since our build has not started....
What a great idea and they look great easy to clean under and around them. However make sure they are securely fixed to the wall because when one is doing what one does on a toilet you will put a lot of leverage on the unit. Another down fall is the cost of the unit and there would be extra cost involved with the installation.
Berstan Homes
Another down fall is the cost of the unit and there would be extra cost involved with the installation.

This all depends on your builder...... No extra costs for us for installation, just the toilet and the system.
Most builders would call up a variation due to the noggins required and yes extra cost for the unit.
Related
19/05/2023
Compact Toilet/Powder - Where to Buy

Bathrooms and Laundry

Looking at some of the designs on websites, they are all selling very similar products. I get that you want something stylish. It's worth looking for search terms like SaveH2O…

27/07/2023
Adding a toilet/wash room to small house

General Discussion

Hey, I am wanting to add a second toilet to my house, bit we have limited room. There is a hallway/entry that is never used, so was thinking this could be an option. Only…

22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum