Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Shower Wall - How tall???

Page 1 of 1
I am lost as to what to do in my ensuite (Master Bedroom Ground Floor) with regards to lighting the shower area.

As we can not put a window in the ensuite, due to building on the fence line. However to get around this we have used a frosted glass bathroom door (hoping some light will come thru the bedroom and also install a skylight i the ceiling. When discussing getting light into the shower area, everyone also suggests glass as the first option, however I really don't like glass in the shower. I was thinking of a half wall, I was thinking about 150cm high. Thinking this would be high enough to provide privacy to any female future purchaser (not that glass provides privacy). I have had a few people comment that 150cm wouldn't be high enough to provide privacy or to keep the water in the shower, resulting in water getting all over the ensuite.

What are people's suggestion on this? What are our options for walling to this area, and how high would you recommend for the wall?

My plans are in my signature, if it helps at all
I'd say 1.8m/2m min. When you say you don't like glass - do you mean the shower screen ? We love clear glass in the shower. Makes a hell of a difference.

Having the shower walled off would put me off buying - if that's an issue. Reminds me of a motel bathroom.
Yeah I was referring to the shower screen, it is something that drives me insane in my current home - just never looking perfectly clean, always having strikes, water marks, finger prints, etc. If I could I wanted to get away with having a shower wall, to avoid the messy glass look (or having to clean it twice daily), but still allow as much possible light into the shower.
We are having this in our ensuite, as I hate glass too. My parents have a full height wall and it does get a bit dark.

Our wall is 1800 high with glass above to prevent any splashing - I don't envision it getting much splash though as the showerhead is a rain shower head so pretty much goes straight down. Mum thinks we could've done without the glass but the builder said we needed it.

Our entire ensuite floor is also 'wet bed', I imagine this is becase there is no door to the shower.
Why not look at a frosted shower screen - different styles of frosting means fingerprints/water marks etc aren't as noticable.

There is no way I'd even consider a half walled shower with nothing else. I'd flood my floor every time I wash my hair I reckon.

Could you put an additional skylight over the shower area if you are so keen on having proper walls?
There are these LEDlux 15w led downlights that have 155 beam angle and can be used inside or outside. They are water protected etc etc somehow. One of these over your shower would be heaps of light. Guy in the shops told us we could put one over our shower if we wanted.
Clear glass is the answer ...
Lots of issues here! Glass bricks allow light in. Many new homes have them. I don't think you can see through them and I have also seen them in show homes, (substitute shower walls too in large bathrooms). They aren't water proof and that's why I ruled them out for my bathroom reno, (the research confirmed that).

My new shower screen is low iron clear glass, (1.8mtrs Australian standards height I think). It's a lot taller than the previous one, (and has been treated for porosity as far as soap scum is concerned). Hydrotherm (manufacturer) said to wipe it down after each shower and every few days, (if any marks appear) to clean with a glove, using soap if necessary, (looks like a follicle grooming glove they supplied). I have done this and it looks great after two months........only time will tell. The water runs off after a short while if you simply leave it to dry without wiping. It costs extra for the glass treatment, but I had been dreading the scum build up on my new shower doors and now I am not!

As far as LED downlights are concerned, they range in coverage of light. Some are more recessed than others and don't spread light as well, (higher ceilings benefit more from these sort as the light is more concentrated). The smaller the spread, the more closely the light fittings need to be to avoid dark patches. You can buy special LED's for over shower areas. I didn't need to as the clear shower door allows the light into the shower from the rest of the bathroom. I recommend the 15 watt, (not the standard 9 watt) LED's. Remember, they require suitable drivers to convert the older types of downlights.
Agape
I am lost as to what to do in my ensuite (Master Bedroom Ground Floor) with regards to lighting the shower area.

As we can not put a window in the ensuite, due to building on the fence line. However to get around this we have used a frosted glass bathroom door (hoping some light will come thru the bedroom and also install a skylight i the ceiling. When discussing getting light into the shower area, everyone also suggests glass as the first option, however I really don't like glass in the shower. I was thinking of a half wall, I was thinking about 150cm high. Thinking this would be high enough to provide privacy to any female future purchaser (not that glass provides privacy). I have had a few people comment that 150cm wouldn't be high enough to provide privacy or to keep the water in the shower, resulting in water getting all over the ensuite.

What are people's suggestion on this? What are our options for walling to this area, and how high would you recommend for the wall?

My plans are in my signature, if it helps at all

We have same problem.
We have full height walls in a 1.8 m long shower with only access clear glass door.

Just had prestart...builder is fitting ledlux downlight in the shower (suitable for shower recess and outside) bought from beacon.
Related
15/12/2023
Fill & Slab vs. Tall stumps

Building A New House

If you're in a flood zone, not only are you dealing with the importation of fill and laying it down in 150 lifts to achieve compaction, you're going to have to consider…

7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

27/06/2023
Fixing a shower head height mistake

Bathrooms and Laundry

I'll look into different shower heads and ask the plumber about some engineering and see what he says. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum