Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

placement of upstairs toilet?

Page 1 of 1
I'm working on my own custom plans for our new house and haven't gained as much practical advice from the architect & designer I've seen as from people on this forum - thank you - so here's another couple of questions for you, please:

Should I try to locate the upstairs toilets against external walls and how important is this?
If you don't have the upstairs toilet against the external wall, where does the waste pipe go? I think I read something about the waste pipe of an upstairs toilet that is against the external wall, going down the outside of the wall. Do they still do this? Is this ideal?

A comment I got on my plan on another thread:-
Quote:
You have also placed wet areas over a major living area, so the living area will suffer visually with drop bulkhead or low ceilings and plumbing ducts.
Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? I've never noticed this in any house I've been in.

Does a toilet need a window for ventilation & light? Sure it's ideal to have one, but is it really important?

Does an alcove shower (3 solid walls, 1 glass door) feel too closed in?

Thanks!
Hi Kylie,

We have a double storey house and 3 toilets. All the toilets are on inside walls and none have windows. They all have fans which are wired together with the light switch so they always come on. We don't have a problem with anything 'lingering' at all. Probably ideal to have a window, but not necessary.

All the waste pipes are hidden in walls/voids, so there are no pipes running down the sides of the house. We did put batts around the pipes pre-plaster, but occasionally if the rest of the house is quiet, you can hear running water through the walls!

We don't have any dropped ceilings where the wastes go, and the kids' bathroom is placed above the kitchen/family room. The pipe runs through the ceiling space a short distance until it reaches the wall void I mentioned before. I can provide photos, but I'm running late!!
Thanks Stormy!
Related
24/08/2023
Can I move my home Gym workout station upstairs?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I have a home gym at home. It weights 150KG including the weight stack. I'm a big boy, around 150KG myself. I was thinking about moving it up stairs to the second…

18/08/2023
Tv Fireplace placement in large lounge room

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, My first post, we are building a house and can’t decide the layout of the lounge room. We have a large N/W facing window and are wanting to have a wood slow…

10/09/2023
Laundry door placement v split level stairs

Windows & Doors

Move your linen into laundry and access laundry from your present linen space

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum