Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Shower Tiles - Can never stay clean

Page 1 of 1
We have "off white" tiles in our shower and it seems no matter how often we clean them, they always look dirty and grimy after a couple of days..

Do tiles normally have some sort of enamel to stop this from happening, and if so is it possible to "reseal" the tiles to avoid this? We plan to do a full renovation of the whole bathroom in the future, but in the short term I would like to be able to do something with the shower as it always looks untidy..
Hi,
Have you tried domestos? Works a treat for me.

Isnt it funny, I am planning walk in showers as I prefer the tiles to the glass. I have had issues with the glass going cloudy.[/quote]
Shower tiles will be vitrified (they have a hard, glass like surface). It is almost certainly NOT an option to seal the tiles. Soap scum and possibly calcium build-up can happen. Its a matter of maintenance and occasional cleaning.

Maintenance is about using a small squeagy to take water off, and a fine microfibre to finish. If this is done after each use, you will have very little cleaning to do. When it comes to cleaning, use a white nylon scourer, wet with a fine cleaner like Aquamix Nanoscrub, and rinse down, then dry. If there are calcium deposits, a phosphoric acid cleaner may be required, together with the cleaning method described.

Ash.
Paula - I use one of these to clean glass shower screens:
http://www.chux.com.au/content.aspx?id=6

Similar to Ash - I squeegee the glass after each shower. I use the magic eraser about every 2-3 months to get rid of any other soap scum.
I’ve stopped using soap!

I now use a pump non soap body wash.
Amazing the difference to my floor tiles and glass screen!

As far as cleaning goes, nothing beats a bit of AJAX!
Michelle
I’ve stopped using soap!

I know use a pump non soap body wash.

As far as cleaning goes, nothing beats a bit of AJAX!

No soap?...........Good point! Best using shower gel.

I use 'sonic death monkey' from LUSH.
I enjoy the sensual experience of massaging it all over my manly body.

AJAX!!!
Should wash your mouth out with it! It is a crude cleaner... very coarse and abrasive. After regular use, it will abrade the surface, making it harder to keep clean.

Ash.
Just found an article in a local advertising mag…..

Nitro Easy Clean Glass.

It’s a solution for the glass only, I think I might have some tucked away at home, if not
I’m going to get some. You get it from shower screen manufactures..

YES!!!! NO SOAP!

I have a great Coconut smelling body wash……it reminds me of summer days at the beach, when I was young and dumb…..dousing myself with coconut oil.
Quote:
Paula - I use one of these to clean glass shower screens:
http://www.chux.com.au/content.aspx?id=6

Looks like a great product.

Quote:
I’ve stopped using soap!

I now use a pump non soap body wash.

Yes, I too now only use a body wash since getting the new shower screen in the ensuite, it has made a difference. (also trained DH to dry the screen off).
I still like to use soap, just have to get in the bath for that.

The kids are not allowed to use the main shower ( want to keep that sparkling for when we sell
) they have to use ours.
And further to the non soap thing, using as little liquid soap as possible is a good thing.

Our skin needs it's natural oils to keep it smooth and silky, and washing that away with lots of soap is not good. (unless you're still a teenager)

Steve
I don’t feel clean unless I’ve had a good scrub Steve!

So….. that’s what I’ve done wrong!!!!
Did you say scrub
I'm probably try this stuff before I move in; http://www.ezicleen.com.au
Our shower recess has new dark brown/grey tiles with matching grout and after only using them for a week the soap is already showing up in the grout

Any suggestions on what to use on it to keep it looking good? (Something that's not going to eat away the grout).
Cathski
Our shower recess has new dark brown/grey tiles with matching grout and after only using them for a week the soap is already showing up in the grout

Any suggestions on what to use on it to keep it looking good? (Something that's not going to eat away the grout).

Scrubbing brush and rinse. Main threat to grout is acids. Many 'shower cleaning' products sold at supermarkets are actually acids.

Ash.
Related
29/05/2023
How I lost $100,000 and why I will never use steel frames

Building A New House

That sucks! Hope it all works out. Good to move away from steel anyway for all your reasons, but it's also thermally poor.

22/04/2024
Best way to clean and fix the pavement

Landscape & Garden Design

I have stone pavement (?) in my backyard around the pool. I have not tended to them and so there is moss growing on them. I intend to clean them but was wondering what the…

27/06/2023
Fixing a shower head height mistake

Bathrooms and Laundry

I'll look into different shower heads and ask the plumber about some engineering and see what he says. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum