Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

concrete slab /tile over timber ?

Page 1 of 1
ok..im soon building a brand new bathroom and had my plan all set out....
i have always thought it be ok to tile existing timber ....
2day,i was advised to concrete the new bathroom floor area as the old timber wont support all the weight of the new bathroom...
im assuming a layer of concrete replacing the old floor board

is this neccesary? ..
where do i start?

how costly is this execise?
I'm assuming the timber floor is over joists and bearers. The timber floor has little bearing on load capacity providing it is in sound condition- this is the job of the joists and bearers.
You can cover the timber in Ceramic Tile Underlay (6mm) sheeting or better, remove the timber floor and install Compressed Fibre Cement sheeting ( 15mm or 18mm depending on joist spacing) You can lay a screed over either surface before tiling to achieve your correct fall-to-waste.
Related
20/04/2024
Shed Slab over Soakwell

General Discussion

One corner of my shed slab will be directly over a 1400mm diameter concrete soakwell. Is it feasible to fill the soakwell with concrete then lay the shed slab over the…

3/07/2023
Butchered concrete over overflow relief gully

General Discussion

Much a do about nothing. You can see the fall heading to the actual drains. Stormwater ingress will be minimal and it's far better to have the top sitting flush rather…

26/12/2023
Paving Concrete Over Termguard Pipes

Building A New House

As most others have posted above the install isn't compliant. The pipe is meant to be covered in loose soil or sand, the pipe has holes in it that leaks out a termicide…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum