Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Strange dark areas in sealant near shower base?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

I re-did our bathroom 2 months ago, and after 2 months of use I've started to notice dark areas in the grey sealant I used at the bottom of the shower between the bottom of the tiles and the shower base

(see photo)

Does anyone have any idea what this is? I assume its got something to do with the moisture?
Mould.
Deemaree
Mould.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was second guessing it because I assumed mould wouldnt affect sealant

Anyway, guess the only solution is to cut out all the sealant and source a good quality mould resistant sealant

Thanks!
Agree with Dee unfortunately it's mould!!

In the last house this happened all the time, even though the exhaust fan was used for every shower and didn't matter if a mould-resistant silicone was used it still reappeared. Bleach applied with an old toothbrush and left for half an hour before showering would do the trick, albeit temporarily. Window in the ensuite was open all day, closed at night, but it seemed that the base of the shower, especially in the bottom corners wasn't getting enough air flow because it didn't happen through summer.

I dislike using silicone for this reason and fortunately the shower screen installers for the new house were in agreeance and said they never use it except where it will not be visible, such as under framing etc. Tilers just used regular grout and (fingers crossed) it's been OK so far but this is only the first winter and on wet days the bathroom windows can't be opened at all because they are on the south side and rain blows in.

Not sure this helps much?
^ITA! Water always seems to get under the silicone & the "anti mould" ones are a crock. You still get mould.

I always prefer grout between tile lines wherever possible. If you're going to the effort of removing the silicone maybe grout it instead.
Related
23/03/2024
Strange noise in the walls

General Discussion

Nope, only on the inside, I've literally has my ears to the brick outside and can't hear anything. I can sort of 'reset' the noise by pressing firmly on the studs. This…

15/01/2024
Slim line water tank and strange pipes

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Thank you for the generous offer. I need to get the plumber out to give me an explanation. As mentioned I haven't seen any rain water discharge from pipes 1& 3. It…

11/12/2023
POLYMARBLE shower base

Bathrooms and Laundry

I have seen poly marble shower bases last in excess of 30 years

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum