Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Unsightly slate on the bathroom floor

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I have nasty and ugly looking slate in my bathroom. I dont want to have to pull it up, can I tile or or put vinyl flooring straight over the top?

Also there is slate attached to the wall surrounding a wood fire, can this be safely removed without wrecking the wall? (it actually looks as though they have cut the wall out and replaced it with the slate
)
Have you got any photos? I love the look of slate
My goodness - there seems to a a sudden hate thing going on with slate.

I love slate and have just bought a house with a slate verandah and slate in the bathrooms. I was there looking at it thinking "wow I just love this!" and the real estate agent said "And of course you can easily get rid of this horrible slate"
I love slate too. I think that's quite popular in the 80's? Our friend's home has that laid in the entry hallway. He didn't like it and wanted to ripe them!
Related
22/04/2024
Floating floor boards over slate tiles

General Discussion

To put anything over slate you will need to put self level compound over the entire area as slate various in thickness and is very un even. To install most types of…

23/02/2024
Smooth out / remove slate tile fireplace

Renovation + Home Improvement

I would probably render it and then paint it as per your other advice, or gyrpock over the top.

23/04/2024
Tiling over slate

Flooring & Floor Covering

just pull up the slate. If you go over the top, your tiles would not have an even surface to be glued to. Im no tiler, but i can imagine a couple of things being an issue…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum