Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Reno = no bath + small kids

Page 2 of 2
Sorry 1.6x2.7m so bath is 1.5
I shower with Eva. When she was little and didnt weigh so much it was alright but it gets a bit hard now, especially if Im drained already, her 7.5kg feels like a tonne
We have a corner spa bath but the way its been put it means I cant lean over it to bath her, I actually have to get in and its not worth the time. So basically, if I were looking at buying a house, it would NEED to have a bath. Im SO looking forward to being able to bath Eva in our future home and give my back a rest
I am another one in the minority who says to ditch the bath. We have 2 bathrooms in a very small house and never had a bath from when we built. Our 3 children (now in their 20's) were all given showers in my husband's or my arms when small and then they stood up for a shower. The secret is to have a shower head which is able to be adjusted by sliding it up and down the metal pole so that they are not scared by the water cascading on their heads when little. We also used to block the drain hole and fill up the space to just below the hob so that they could play with their bath toys when they were very young. Obviously this is not possible with a modern shower which does not have a hob but it worked for us. We just had to make sure our waterproofing was perfect.

Resale was never a factor as I would have gone insane trying to use a bathroom with no space to move. We renovated our main bathroom a couple of years ago and there is still no bath. But then I believe a house is for living in now - not for compromising so that a future buyer will be happy.
I have two small kids (3 and 1) and although they dont really have many baths as they prefer showers also I would probably tend not to buy a house without a bath. If it was myself looking to buy I would of rathered a bath/shower rather than no bath at all.

Regarding the vanity have you looked at the old style (yet gorgeous) stand alone sinks and have a mirror above and maybe have a shelf put up somewhere else to house towels, shampoo etc, just a suggestion
Good luck with it all
I've just had my bathroom renovated, minus the bath, and I don't regret it one bit. Although my boys are older (12 and 15 years). I basically decided against it as I was sick of cleaning it when we never even used it! and I figured if we sell, i'm sure there's someone out there that may prefer or wouldn't care if there was a bath or not.
My sister just renovated her tiny bathroom and took out the bath, and now the bathroom is fantastic. It looks so much bigger and it is easier to use. Originally the bath (with shower over it) ran along the back wall and that was the whole width of the bathroom. It was a pain to step up and over the bath to have a shower.
Now the whole back wall is just shower, so much room, easy to shower kids. So I am another for leaving out the bath.
As long as you are intending to stay in the house a few years, then make it livable for how YOU want to live.
Both my kids like baths, so I would prefer a house with a bath. Also, I found that when my oldest had chicken pox, a cool bath of oatmeal bath stuff relieved her itching more than anything else. I would have had a real struggle if I couldn't give her one a few times a day. Also, if kids break bones or have an operation or anything and can't get certain body parts wet, a bath is much easier to manage than a shower. Just food for thought.
In our old house we had a shower over a corner spa. I had no problems getting in and out (even while 9 months preg!), but if I did it again I would make sure not to get an acrylic bath because they get dirty so much more easily with foot marks. We left that house thinking we wouldn't do it again but already miss the ability to have a nice shower then relax in a bath. It was really lovely.
Related
25/10/2023
Freestanding bath taps and kids

Bathrooms and Laundry

Bathroom renovation will likely include a back-to-corner bath and we’re considering a freestanding tap with hand-held shower such as the picture included. My hesitation…

24/02/2024
Kids friendly options for exposed aggregate patio

Flooring & Floor Covering

After some ideas on making our patio kid friendly . Currently we have exposed aggregate. The patio faces west and is always in sun even though it has a shade directly…

26/11/2023
Frameless bath screen.

General Discussion

Thanks for the advise,much appreciatedđź‘Ť

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum