Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Can you change flick mixer back to normal/separate taps?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

we have just moved into our new house which is beautiful except for the pressure in the shower. We have looked for the water saver to take our but can't find it in the shower head. We have been told flick mixers don't give as much pressure as normal taps so r looking to replace them. I think flick mixers only use one pipe instead of two separate ones?

Can we change back to normal taps? Is it too hard without mucking up too much of the tiling?? I NEED pressure in my shower!!!
Don't think the mixer is the pressure problem. More likely the structure of the plumbing lines. Get a plumber to do some test before you rip up the joint.
Hi,

Flickmixers for the shower do have 2 pipes incoming, one each side behind the tiles.

However, check a few things (or get a plumber in to do it if you are at all unsure) before taking off the tiles to change back to separate taps:

- is the shower head partially blocked? Take it off the wall and have a look at the flow out of the threaded stub to see if it appears strong or weak. Look at the holes in the shower head and if blocked clear them with a fine wire or needle.

- mixer valves are especially vulnerable to gunk in the lines. Shut off your water at the main and then remove the handle and valve cartridge (water will run out of the mixer for a bit) and look for gunk inside the housing and on the cartridge. You will need an adjustable wrench for this. Turn on the mains tap for a second or two to flush the lines out of the mixer housing, while having someone watch to see if this results in a strong or weak flow into the shower recess. You could also buy a replacement cartridge from the hardware store if suspicious of it.

- if you do want to remove tiles finally, try first to see if you can get the matching replacements (if you have no spare) or you might be up for a lot of tiling.

Cheers
Hey Roxy

How are you settling in, we have finally got to slab pour stage (hopefully tomorrow for the actual pour).

Glad to see you are happy with everything else, would love to see some pics.
roxy1210
Hi,

we have just moved into our new house which is beautiful except for the pressure in the shower. We have looked for the water saver to take our but can't find it in the shower head. We have been told flick mixers don't give as much pressure as normal taps so r looking to replace them. I think flick mixers only use one pipe instead of two separate ones?

Can we change back to normal taps? Is it too hard without mucking up too much of the tiling?? I NEED pressure in my shower!!!

To change 'back' you will have to change the plumbing in the wall which means cutting a hole and retiling part of it. As others have said though your pressure problem sounds like something is blocked rather than an inherent issue with the flick mixer.
Your problem, almost certainly is in the shower rose. All shower roses have a water flow restrictor which obviously restricts the flow of water.

They can and frequently affect the performance of flickmixers and tend to block easily, especially in a new installation.

Simply remove the restrictor. Depending on the type of shower rose, its usually positioned in the female thread that screws onto the wall. Unscrew it and you'll find a small circlip holding in a brass fitting and plastic restrictor. Take out the circlip and then the restrictor and screw back onto the wall and I bet your flickmixer will work fine..
Related
27/01/2024
Porte cochère - separate pedestrian gate/path?

Building A New House

Thank you so much for your response. I have drawn a pedestrian gate in - for curb appeal, let's see how much costs come in at. I think you're right - if we decide to…

25/10/2023
Freestanding bath taps and kids

Bathrooms and Laundry

Bathroom renovation will likely include a back-to-corner bath and we’re considering a freestanding tap with hand-held shower such as the picture included. My hesitation…

26/07/2023
Replacing concealed guttering with normal guttering

Renovation + Home Improvement

Yes, get a builder, make sure he is experienced and a registered building practitioner

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum