Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Tiled floor in shower - what is best way?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
We are creating an ensuite from the laundry. Plumber, elect and carpentry all done the necessary jobs. However, I really want a tiled shower base. Plasterer is putting villaboard on walls. Then tiler starts. First he will put cement sheeting on the floor - one sheet in shower base, 2 on ensuite floor to raise height. The tiler said he will use a Shower Base kit. He said it was a type of foam that you spray to get the necessary angles for the waste. Our floors are wood. he will also waterproof floors and walls.

Has anyone heard of this SHower Base Kit?? DOes it work? Can anyone see any problems with the methods the tiler is using?

Do we need a second waste in the middle of the ensuite floor?

Just feeling a little nervous as heard of leaking showers etc and never had a tiled shower base before.

Thank you!
Why not tile the entire floor?
Whole floor is being tiled. We want the tiles running through into the shower, rather than a polymarble shower base.
MumofTwo29
Whole floor is being tiled. We want the tiles running through into the shower, rather than a polymarble shower base.

That's what I meant. Nice clean look (wall to wall tiles).
If the tiler has done showers before and knows how to water proof than you should be fine ask for referals. Do you know the name of the shower kit he is using? Ask what warranty there is, tilers who build shower pans need to proove the experience in shower installations.

You do not really need a second drain whole but it is recommended just in case you have a water leak issue from a vanity or something. If unsure about installing shower pans google it there is plenty of info on the net to look at even U tube.

Craig
Are shower pans concealed beneath the tiles or exposed. that is, when in the shower, do you stand on tiles?
Casa2
Are shower pans concealed beneath the tiles or exposed. that is, when in the shower, do you stand on tiles?

Shower pans is just a term tradies use as there are many components that make up a shower floor eg, cement bedding, water proofing membranes, cement motor and tiles it is not a pan they use underneath it is just a name they use to describe a shower floor. Yes there are shower pans you can buy fibreglass etc which they call shower pans. When we get called out to a shower job with tiles on them we still call them shower pans. If that makes sense.

Craig
Grout Perfect
Casa2

Shower pans is just a term tradies use as there are many components that make up a shower floor eg, cement bedding, water proofing membranes, cement motor and tiles it is not a pan they use underneath it is just a name they use to describe a shower floor. Yes there are shower pans you can buy fibreglass etc which they call shower pans. When we get called out to a shower job with tiles on them we still call them shower pans. If that makes sense.

Craig

Thanks. I understand. A shower pan is an area, not a method.
Related
24/09/2023
Best way to attach perspex to an aluminium fence

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Using a rivet sounds like a good idea thanks

22/04/2024
Best way to clean and fix the pavement

Landscape & Garden Design

I have stone pavement (?) in my backyard around the pool. I have not tended to them and so there is moss growing on them. I intend to clean them but was wondering what the…

20/06/2023
Gutter cleaning tools for concrete tiled roof.

General Discussion

No, I even have sections of narrowness where the tiles won't slide up any further. When I manage some spare time, I might play around with the first DIY part of my…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum