Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Ensuite / Bathroom Splashback height - Does it look right

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Thought id ask a semi-normal question.

Ive purchased Raymore Pearl basins and wall mounted alder taps.

These are higher than normal sinks and therefore the splashback has to be double the height to allow the taps to be installed.

It didnt faze me untill I really looked at more display homes and now im thinking it will look horrible! Plus im short so i will only be able to see some of the reflection!

from what I can see I have two options -

1. Live with it
2. See if I can get them to install different mirrors so they come down lower and the taps mount into the mirror instead of tiles (seems hard)

It will look similar to this:

(thanks blessedpeople for the image)

They are also reducing the size of the mirror so it is still inline with the shower screen...

If you have similar ensuite/bathroom to what I am getting installed can you please post some images or if you have some ideas on how to change or make me love it...please please let me know
Can you see these ok. I think your taps could come down a bit more than that image and if you could get the mirror brought down a bit that will help you.
Thanks Suh.

Must keep remembering that the finished product is always better.

This is what I have to run off at the moment:

Ive got a meeting with the tiler (when it gets to that stage!) so I might be able to ask him what he thinks and even manage to sneek in some feature tiles which i got for free from my neighbour

I spose its not tooo bad - considering i pretty much got the basins I wanted for a steal!
My builder automatically dropped down the height of the cupboards for the taller basin. We didn't get taps off the wall though, but I definately think the taps could be lower than that pic.
Yes Rizzo is right, our vanity is probably lower than most but perfect for our basins
It is usual for those basins to be mounted on a lower cabinet than standard inset basins, but it's always a good idea to make sure.

Just check the measurements on your plans - the writing is way too small for my cruddy eyesight.
Yes, do not assume anything will be as it should
always ask, wish someone had said that to me
It appears that the vanity cabinet height is 850mm + the height of the basin itself will make them quite high overall, particularly if you are short. Your taps will end up even higher to give you the required distance between tap and basin.
Ideally you want the top of the basin at around 850, so the vanity itself will be a fair bit lower (need to subtract actual height of basin).
I built our vanities about 750mm high then they have a 100mm basin on top.
Hope it's not to late to talk with the cabinet maker.
At least you wont need to bend over much to wash your face.

Edit: on further looking at the plans it really isn't to bad. They will be a little higher than normal but nothing serious. I have young children so keeping the basins low was important for us. Having said that I'm 6.2" and I bend over a lot to wash my face.
It'll be fine.
Hi Chippy,

You have good eyes! I couldnt get a better image from the scanner and i was a tad lazy to put the sizes up

Ive signed all the plans but building hasnt commenced.
Do you think I should speak to the cab maker when they go to install them or just leave it as is?
Maybe moving them down abit is a good idea - will it eat into my cupboard size or just the tile kicker?

No children to worry about at this point in time, if im still there in 8 years then it might be but I dont think the house is big enough for everyone.

Im 5'4 and my partner is 6'1 - the sink is never to far for me
There's no point talking to the cabinet maker at the time of install as the cupboards will look funny if they are just dropped lower to the floor. You want the height of the shower hob (150mm) to match the tiled hob under your vanities.
I'd be tempted to ask your builder which cabinet maker they are using and then go and see them before they start manufacturing and get them to drop the cabinet height to 750mm (assuming the basins are around 100mm high).
And while I was there I'd ask them how much they would charge to change both the end doors in your en-suite vanity to draws. Just leave 2 doors in the middle.
You ladies find it so much easier to access all you make up and hair goodies from draws than trying to fit it all in a cupboard only to have it fall all over the floor every time you get something out. Trust me if you can get them to do it, pay the money, you'll thank me.
Haha chippy!
Draws are a god send, the builder was going to charge alot for draws! Like 400 for 3!
It doesn't worry me not having draws that's what baskets are for and also tHe recess in the master.
Hopefully ask someone who the cab makers is and see if I can get it sorted without the builder, otherwise there's a variation fee!

Thanks for your help. Let you know how I go
Related
27/02/2024
Does this quote seem right? Turf + landscaping

Landscape & Garden Design

They using concrete or timber sleepers? Timber or steel uprights? Any drainage behind sleeper?

4/12/2023
Does this Bedroom + Ensuite Make any Sense?

General Discussion

if i have understood your dimensions correctly my suggestions include using the smallest toilet and wall hung handbasin eg Caroma Urbane with in wall cistern, small wall…

26/08/2023
renovate bathroom remove step up into ensuite

Bathrooms and Laundry

the step up is 30mm and wanting it to be flat . how much does the concrete have to be lowered .we plan on removing bath and lenghten shower and adding seat. the old bath…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum