Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Best tips for getting that Wow factor w/o the increased cost

Page 1 of 1
We are just in the stages of selecting tapware, toilets, basins etc for a new home we start building in July. We have already decided to upgrade all the standard inclusions from our builder and we are finding that the costs are steadily increasing, especially for things like tapware. I can't believe how easily you can go up by thousands of dollars just by selecting a different toilet (we need 3).

Anyway, I have read that it can be best to opt for cheaper basins and spend that saving on tapware etc.

I was just wondering if anyone who had already designed or renovated a bathroom had any great tips on giving a bathroom that extra special touch? How to give it that "wow" factor by simple changes to colour, lighting, tiles etc?

I would be grateful for any feedback, thank you!
ThistleTown

Anyway, I have read that it can be best to opt for cheaper basins and spend that saving on tapware etc.

I was thinking the opposite - the tapewear would be fairly simple to change over after handover (or when you have saved some extra $$$) but the basins would also need the bench replaced if you did that later. So I was thinknig to upgrade the basins firstly and if budget allows then tapwear. If not, the tapwear will be a DIY job once the loan is looking manageable
Do you have a particular style or look in mind? Perhaps if you can find a picture of the sort of effect you're after, people might be able to suggest alternative ways of achieving it without breaking the bank.

One thing to be aware of is that tile upgrades can be a huge extra cost. Have a really good look at the basic tile range and see if there's something you can work with. A small amount of a stunning but more expensive tile as a feature can add some wow.... whereas doing a whole wall might just make you want to cry.
We did our bathrooms with only $500 of upgraded feature tiles - the rest all came from the standard range, and we think they look pretty darn good.

If you want but can't afford stone benchtops, look at some of the stone-look laminates - they can come up a treat, especially if you're able to get them in a gloss finish.

Also, plain tiles can be a great background for some really fabulous accessories - those can be added any time and changed as often as you like.
Towels, soap dishes, decorative items....

And you can see whether there are items that can be easily replaced with more expensive versions at a later date when you can afford it - but you need to make sure that the replacements are compatible. For example, tap holes need to be in the right place, sink cut-outs the right size....so it can be tricky.
Thanks very much kek ~ that's some really helpful advice.

We spent a few hours in Reece today and managed to make a few choices in regards to tapware. It's still early stages yet so I might do a bit more searching.
We found the cost of the upgrade for the tapware from the builder was less then if we bought it ourselves.

Just remember it's the accessories that make the difference in the room, not necessarily the tiles etc.

My builder has a bronze/silver/gold range of things. I upgraded my bathroom tiles to the silver range but instead of paying extra for a feature tile, or a strip of mosaics I simply made one whole wall one tile from the silver range, and the rest of the bathroom white. Have a look at my thread about page 14 to see what I mean.

Focus on doing things like 2700 high ceilings as I think that makes a HUGE difference to the feel of the house.
are tiles to the whole wall of the bathroom still a good idea... a bit pricey to upgrade it.
Our main bathroom is a three-way bathroom - with the 'vanity' area central & the toilet off to one side & the bath & shower off to the other (each with a sliding door). As the vanity is 'open' to the back hallway (ie no door to that area) I am having a huge framed bevel-edged mirror above it. Figure that will distract from what I'm guessing will be an 'average' vanity (not yet chosen).
Keep it simple and watch out for items that date easily, that way you will get the wow factor for longer. Have a look at house on the real estate sites that are about 10years old and you will get what I mean.

Cheers Lou
Related
15/02/2024
Welcome to 2024 - Gyprocking prices have increased 40%!

Building A New House

Tradie may sit at home but will need to get house plastered as well or will you sit it out?

6/06/2023
Brick pier replacement methodology / tips

Renovation + Home Improvement

Just be careful with building stability during construction, that is when the structure may be weakened, refer to your engineering drawings for stability methodology.

30/08/2023
Builder has set mediation with Master Builders GC. Any tips

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful. We definitely wish to settle and get these people out of our life. They are trying to charge us interest on late…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum