Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Shower head???

Page 1 of 2
Sorry, if this has already been answered but it is easy to change a stock-standard shower head to a handheld rail after handover? Or it best to just upgrade?
I think with a hand rail you'll need to drill into the tile - this may compromise the waterproofing (I'm just thinking logically - I'm not a professional!)

If you just wanted hand held without the rail like the one below - I wouldn't think it's a problem
Hi
Problem you are going to have that the rail will not be centred along the wall due to the outlet already installed for the shower is in the centre. Usually when installing a shower on rail the rail goes in the centre and the outlet for the water is to the side. They usually install a chrome elbow with a flexible tail

Regards
Shane
sbudge
blem you are going to have that the rail will not be centred along the wall due to the outlet already installed for the shower is in the centre. Usually when installing a shower on rail the rail goes in the centre and the outlet for the water is to the side. They usually install a chrome elbow with a flexible tail

Correct to a certain degree.... Some showers, yes, are installed as above so if you want to be able to install after handover you may have your shower off centre. There are other options out there where you can actually have the top 'bracket' screw onto the the existing thread coming out of the wall. There are options,just fewer to choose from.
Well, I lost quite some time investigating shower heads, thinking and deciding on this!!! I wanted a rail shower, but then I had to specify exact position of the water outlet and the rail; otherwise they would do it as they like (which I don't like). And the fact that they would need to drill into the tiles finally got the better of me, so I just took the standard head and will replace it asap with the simpler one (as per the pic above). I also realise that I'm not really going to push the handle up and down the rail all that often, so why bother. And the upgrade cost was quite appaling too ... The one thing I did specify is to put the water outlet in the middle of the shower wall
Thanks for your help everyone.

Ive asked my builder to just keep it standard but ill see if i can move the shower rose to the side, and replace it with a nicer one after....It doesnt seem to hard actually.

Now to go on the hunt for a decent handheld railed shower head!
We have just picked up an error by our builder, they have installed a normal shower head instead of the hand held with rail.

They are going to replace it, but now after reading this thread realise it's all going to be off centre.
Hi Jaelee,

thats a bit annoying that your builder didnt pickup up on the fact you probably upgraded to now have an off centre shower!

My builder is charging me to move mine from the centre so i can replace it after handover...

never can win.
Shop around. My parents have a regular shower head and a rail shower head. The regular rose is on a t junction with a diverter. The rail sits directly under the regular shower head and the hose comes out the side of the t junction
Hey,

It didnt cost to move the shower spout across, so moved it to the Right hand side.

Not sure if they liked the fact Im doing it after H/O

Now to find a nice shower with rail!
Hey exactly my problem! Had standard shower head from the builder and we will put in the shower rails ourselves (well, ask the plumber to do it for us when he's on site). But its too late for us to move the shower spout, its dead in center .. oh well, i think the shower rail will look nice a bit towards the corner, you can always turn the direction your way ..

Besides, the energy saving tip suggests the shower be as high and away as possible to let you enjoy more water in the same flow
Hi Bluemetal77,

ITs not that bad having it like that really and you probably wont even notice after too long.

I wish I didnt do it in the bathroom but at the same time its good for cleaning and whatnot.

Does anyone know a good website or place to buy decent handheld rail shower spouts?
Hey Guys,

I got the plans back - they have moved it to the RHS (Right Hand Side) but it has not been moved down, its still at the same height a normal shower rose is.

Should I move it down an fraction so its lower than the shower rail height?

Thanks for your help
Funnily enough... we removed the rail shower and went with a Bracket/handheld.... The rails (IMHO) end up looking dirty too quickly!
Gosh, we should have just swapped shower heads
OK, I have been wondering about this for some years now... Can someone please explain the handrail shower craze? What is it that you guys are doing with the shower head? I can see it would be useful for cleaning the shower, but other than that....?
xquisite, they are great for cleaning yes!!

but... the most useful thing ever I find is... because im short I like the shower head lower so I dont get my hair wet.

DP is tall and likes it high because otherwise he only gets a half shower.

Worst thing all is the temp, if we share a shower, i like it hotter because I cant feel the warmth as much. The closer you are to the showerhead the hotter it is....
We solved that problem by having two shower heads... and J's one is about 30cm lower than mine
shonzilla
xquisite, they are great for cleaning yes!!

but... the most useful thing ever I find is... because im short I like the shower head lower so I dont get my hair wet.

DP is tall and likes it high because otherwise he only gets a half shower.

Worst thing all is the temp, if we share a shower, i like it hotter because I cant feel the warmth as much. The closer you are to the showerhead the hotter it is....

+ 1
Aha! Thanks, that makes sense. Of course the rail is good for moving the shower up & down. Doh!
Related
27/06/2023
Fixing a shower head height mistake

Bathrooms and Laundry

I'll look into different shower heads and ask the plumber about some engineering and see what he says. Thanks

23/07/2023
Low head water tank

General Discussion

If you can calculate the reasonable charged head from let's say 100mm below the gutter to the top of where the vertical riser's horizontal discharge pipe will be, that…

22/06/2023
Joists under shower tray

General Discussion

Hi All, about to commence a bathroom renovation and need some advice on subfloor works. Current subfloor is hardwood T&G floorboards on 90x45 joists, but intention is to…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum