Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

TV in bathroom?

Page 1 of 1
I thought it would be nice to have a tv mounted on the wall if I go ahead and get a spa bath in my ensuite reno.
Do you have one, and are there any problems I should be aware of??

Can I just buy a normal tv with a bracket, or does it have to be a special waterproof one like this - http://www.oceanicdistribution.com/products_helsyn.html
http://www.oceanicdistribution.com/Line ... D%20TV.pdf

I also have a shower in the room and it can get steamy but hopefully it wouldn't get splashed.

It would be on an internal wall. Should it be easy enough to run an aerial cable and a PP into this wall?

Anyone got any pics?

Thanks,
scozzy
I also have a shower in the room and it can get steamy but hopefully it wouldn't get splashed.

It would be on an internal wall. Should it be easy enough to run an aerial cable and a PP into this wall?

Anyone got any pics?

Thanks,

House plans? Single or double storey, top floor or bottom etc?

Anything can be done, it's the extra that needs to be done that costs money...
Ensuite renovation. Single story. Here's the wall where I would put tv just above bath.

The other side of the wall is the laundry toilet.

How much $ do you think we'd be talking about?
scozzy
Ensuite renovation. Single story. Here's the wall where I would put tv just above bath.

The other side of the wall is the laundry toilet.

How much $ do you think we'd be talking about?

As long as it had enough ventilation behind it (heat issues) then I wouldn't call that too much of an issue. You can also put clear Perspex in front as a splash barrier sprayed with anti fogging agent.

That sort of job would require a chippy (carpenter) to install the framing and I don't know much about that, but budget $200-300 as it would be at least 1/2 a days work and you would probably have to cross cycle the tradies, e.g. carpenter builds the cavity, electrician wires it up, and then the carpenter comes back to install the TV and finish. Depending on how big the TV was, you may have to cut past studs etc.

Power is about $90 a point, and TV is about $110 or so.

Not a cheap job overall, so the TV either better be worth it, or you should really like you TV in the bath... hehehe. A semi cheaper and less permanent alternative would be to use a mounting bracket on the wall with splash box. I mounted a (side) swivel bracket onto the family room wall, 37 inch tv, plus TV and power, and it came to $520 ($320 bracket, $90 power, $110 tv), all done by electrician. Admittedly it was very good work.
I was just thinking this would be a good idea, I get bored in the spa
Is the spa going where the bath is now? Ummm if it is, this is a really bad idea I reckon. If it happens to fall when someone is in the spa, they will be dead by electrocution. Not worth the risk.
SuH

It's a hard life, SuH
joles
Is the spa going where the bath is now? Ummm if it is, this is a really bad idea I reckon. If it happens to fall when someone is in the spa, they will be dead by electrocution. Not worth the risk.

How will the TV fall? A solid mounting and it is going nowhere. I reckon you couldn't even rip it out when the time comes. That is the job of the chippy when he mounts it.
And mounted TVs NEVER fall? They are always installed 100% perfectly?

May be a very, very low chance of it happening, but I wouldn't run the risk over water I, or my kids, were sitting in. Just seems like a pretty dangerous position.

Actually, come to think of it, it may well be against regulations. I know we couldn't have powerpoints too close to the bath because of regulations about electricity. It had to be on the shower side of the vanity.
Helyn
SuH

It's a hard life, SuH

The house we are living in now had a mounting frame for a tv in the bathroom so you could watch it while having a spa...

Problem is, they put it right up next to the roof!!!!

It was a great idea in theory but I couldn't imagine craning my neck (while trying to relax!!!) just to watch tv.

Point of the story - they used a normal bracket and had wired speaker cable through the ceiling... I think there is a power switch up there too, not sure will have to check it tonight. otherwise it would have been the powerpoint next to the vanity...

I'm not sold on the idea to be honest
joles
And mounted TVs NEVER fall? They are always installed 100% perfectly?

Actually, come to think of it, it may well be against regulations. I know we couldn't have powerpoints too close to the bath because of regulations about electricity. It had to be on the shower side of the vanity.

If the chippy has mounted it so that the centre of gravity is behind the centre line (i.e. if it falls, it falls backwards into the wall cavity) or that it has bracing (and or splash screen) at the front of the mount hole, it would do a lot to prevent such circumstances. This is why you paid an experienced chippy for. They know how to balance these issues out to maintain safety and aesthetics. Or since it is a remodel, you can even make the cavity opening smaller than the actual TV, and mount it from the laundry side.

We are not even sure how big the expected TV is. You could just build an entire niche for it, then place splash screen in front. A set of dyna bolts into studs and the only problem would be getting it out again. If you are worried about it falling out then, then I would be more worried about the house falling down around you.

As for the power point, I would be placing it inside the cavity on 'top' part.

You can engineer anything to be safe, it's just the cost.
Thanks for all the replies. It's just an idea at the moment. I would probably use the spa more if I could watch tv in it - when the kids are in bed, ahh bliss

The tv would be on that wall but the new bath will be freestanding and out from the wall a bit so if the tv did hypothetically fall off the wall, then it would hit the floor and not the bath. I like the idea of it in a cavity and flush with the wall, that would look really nice. I was only thinking of a small screen, maybe 19" something like that. There seems to be a lot of info for UK and US tv's but not so much in Australia, that's why I was asking if anyone had done it.

Has given me something to think about...
Possibly overkill (and overbudget...) for your situation, but for a really seamless install what about mounting the TV in a ceiling swing mount so that it disappears when not in use (and thus also protected from daily steamings)? This sort of thing:
http://www.visionone.com.au/the-mercury-series.html
Quote:
Possibly overkill (and overbudget...) for your situation, but for a really seamless install what about mounting the TV in a ceiling swing mount so that it disappears when not in use (and thus also protected from daily steamings)? This sort of thing:
http://www.visionone.com.au/the-mercury-series.html

I like that celiing mount but think in my case its too high and would strain my old neck. Its a nice idea being out of the steam during showering times, thanks.
We are having one in our main ensuite BUT it is on a wall at least 1.5-2m away from any water source. We also have had the chippy put in a noggin to carry the weight.

I personally wouldn't want one anywhere near any water source - both for fogging and moreso electrocution reasons.
I just wonder about the noise of the spa interfering with the listening pleasure of the TV
WRT electrocution, couldn't shortening the lead so if the TV fell it would pull out the plug negate that concern? Or would there still be some residual power that could be a problem?
Related
22/05/2023
Urgent!!! Bathroom walls

General Discussion

Render your bathroom walls, two opinions versus the one, makes you wonder.

30/05/2023
Bathroom Puddle flange

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi Geoff Install Puddle Flange prior to any screed. Puddle flange needs to be flush with the surface so you may need to grind away the surface to achieve this. Also as…

4/06/2023
Bathroom reno - do i need a bathtub

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hello It is good to have a planned bathroom reno to suit your budget and design, living for 10 years I think you need a bathtub

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum