Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Teenager Showering Times

Page 1 of 1
I tried to find a thread on shower times and if anyone had used a device that is suitable.

We have 2 teenagers and it drives me crazy on how long they take in the shower, I've tried the timer that beeps in ever increasing loudness - worked for about a week, turn on the hot water in the kitchen - just prolongs it even more, screaming at the - just gets my blood pressure elevated!

I have seen this, is anyone using one or anything similar?

Link below:
http://www.showertimer.com.au/water-savings.html
Hmmm only 1 to 'Go'

I hear you vid

3 girls here, last one is 17/30
(all had Looong hair)

We had a chip heater here for years,
so every bit of hot water was from a fire I made(with help) and fueled(to excess at times)

...for 2o years
.( not a biggy lots still do)
I used to try and get them to have a shower while the fire was going, so the water would be hot after it.

To make it easy, in summer we had 200mtr of 50mm polypipe layed(coiled) out to heat up and dump into an insulated header tank/storage.
But there were valves (2) and if I wasn't there...

I guess you have told them they could be saving money, water, energy a 1000 times.
4 minutes really is long enough not washing their hair.

So we said ...Don't wash your hair in the shower, we will wash it for you in the trough.
It's not that bad... Towels for comfy ...takes about 10 minutes and uses about 10ltrs of water is all

You get to have a chat with yer kid... if you make it a good thing and don't rush it!
it might become regular quality time
(it's just as good to give
nah better, than to recieve)
I mean who doesn't like and mini head massage when you have a hair washed/cut

...and it did get them out of the shower more quickly

Bit of a rant...
Cold bucket of water over the top of the shower will work a treat. DS was getting ridiculous in the shower.... so he got a big cup of cold water over him. I only call out once now.... and he's out immediately.
A friend of mine has one of those hot water temp controllers in the kitchen. Like this one:

http://www.australianhotwater.com.au/temperature-controller-hot-water-system.htm

She doesn't bother with warnings any more. When they hit the 4-minute mark, the water temp gets turned waaaay down. They get out fast.

This is the same friend who got sick of telling her teenage son not to slam his bedroom door, so she took it off the hinges. No door, no problem.
Dad used to knock on the door at 4mins then at 8mins the hot water was turned off at the hot water system. Nothing like your shower turning cold suddenly to make you move quickly.
when i was younger and still living at home my brother, who is 11 years younger than me, used to take forever in the shower but still get out with a dirty face or unwashed hair. we eventually found out that he spent a lot of time soaping up a facewasher and carefully washing all of the tiles on the wall

apparently he didn't really care about washing himself though!
Related
13/02/2024
DA vs CDC (Approval Times) in Ku-ring-gai Council?

Building A New House

Hi Minho I have heaps of experience in Ku-ring-gai with both DAs and CDC ( this is the main area we build in). DA's are taking 12-18months and CDC's we have been doing…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum