Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Cornice or no cornice?

Page 1 of 1
In our old bathroom we had cornice. In our new bathroom we were thinking of tiling to the ceiling band having no cornice. My builder asked if we were wanting a shadow line? I am not really sure what this means and what it will look like. What options or finishing do you have if you don't want cornice? I have always lived in houses with cornice...
Go for square set (that is no shadow line). It looks great.
I agree with Casa2 - our whole house has shadow lines and although they look cool, if there is any movement in the house you get very obvious cracks which are quite unattractive. I feel like we are constantly repairing them!

I would suggest no shadow line or cornice, just a nice sharp edge where the tile meets the ceiling. Looks great.

2fk
Just a word of advise, square setting is hard and any imperfections in the top plate will show up. Choose a skilled plasterer, one who does commercial work as square set is common in the commercial arena. Otherwise investigate a "casing bead finish" Have a look on the Boral plaster website. A casing bead is a channel that fits over the top of the wall sheet at the ceiling junction. Can look smart, but it is a commercial type finish, however there is no stopping or taping involved which all but eliminates cracks.
Cheers
Pete002 do you know if square set cracks also? We are trying to decide at the moment whether or not to square set or cornice. We have been told that square set reveals cracks? Our builder isn't fussed either eay - they build both and are happy for us to decide.

JL
I know this is going to sound silly but I am sooo confused. Why does square set have to be any better than having cornice? Doesn't the roof have to be straight regardless? I just had my bathroom ceiling square set. It is a disaster! The last row of tile is yet to be laid but their is a difference in height by up to 5-6 mm on one wall from the next. All walls are out say 2mm from one another but one is 6mm out. My builder thinks it is not too bad and you will not notice. Now I know it is an old house but it does not seem right to me. Should I just use cornice? But won't my new ceiling still look out? Please advise and help me understand.
Also if one of my bathrooms had to lower 1 inch for square set would you square set or use cornice? Is an inch in an already low ceiling worth square set look.
Related
16/03/2024
Crooked wall or cornice?

Building A New House

The photo is not really clear but to me it looks like twist in the cornice. Slight anticlockwise rotation at the top of the cornice and slightly clockwise at bottom should…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum