Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Round Vs Rectangular basins

Page 1 of 2
Which do you prefer and why?

I must admit I currently prefer the look of rectangular ones but for some reason I think round ones are easier to clean. What do you guys think?

Will rectangular ones look too outdated in 10 years time?
I just prefer round ones, I guess they probably are easier to clean because you dont have to get into the corners but I hadn't thought of that before.
The square ones look more modern now but may date - round ones have certainly stood the test of time.
Our house is not a very modern style anyway so I think square ones wouldn't look right in it.
Probably part of my preferring round ones is part of my preferring classical traditional styles in general, not really a fan of the ultra-modern.
I like straight simple lines, so I always thought I would go for the rectangular ones but when I had a look in the display home the round one looked nicer, they sat on top of the vanity, and the rectangular one looked too bulky. I think the rectangular ones look nice semi recessed.
I like both
Round. They are timeless.
gettingThere
Will rectangular ones look too outdated in 10 years time?

I really think that you need to discard this way of thinking. At the end of the day everything dates so you should always choose what you like now. Your tastes will nearly always change over time.

I know things I liked in my first home and second and third home - I would not do again. It is all a learning experience.

Just choose what you like and can live with day in day out.
Helyn
I just prefer round ones, I guess they probably are easier to clean because you dont have to get into the corners but I hadn't thought of that before.
The square ones look more modern now but may date - round ones have certainly stood the test of time.
Our house is not a very modern style anyway so I think square ones wouldn't look right in it.
Probably part of my preferring round ones is part of my preferring classical traditional styles in general, not really a fan of the ultra-modern.

...wot she says, word for word!
I love the square ones, I'm having the caroma liano I absolutley love them

They may date in time but by then I will like all the new stuff coming in and will want to build or renovate again anyway

So I just go with what I love at the time.
We went for the square ones. I like the round ones also but if my square basins date I will renovate. It is true that everything dates so you should go for what you like now.
kyton
At the end of the day everything dates so you should always choose what you like now. Your tastes will nearly always change over time.

This is why I would never get a tattoo,.
I don't think I ever got over the reaction we all had to the first rectangular basins we saw in a display home. Very laboratory like, probably made worse by their size and the rest of the decor. I've seen nice ones since then but I still prefer round and think they can look more timeless.
I don't mind either, just don't give me an oval one! Personally we are going with a stepped vessel round basin, it was DP's idea, didn't really bother me so long as we didn't choose the oval
I have 2 rectangular basins in ensuite and 1 round basic in bathroom. I like rectangular basin more than the round basin because rectangular basic looks modern and unique.
I prefer the circle shape more, it just appeared softer and also i like round shapes, they are better fung shui wise.

I do like the square shapes too though, they look nice, they just arnt me.
How are the stepped basins to clean? To me they look like more work, but I've never had one so maybe it just seems that way.
Macy
Very laboratory like,

I agree they remind me of a hospital or science room at school. I love the round ones.
I like both. We went with the Caroma Liano too - square - because we had to have a countertop basin and I thought the square looked nicer with the ceasarstone benchtops, rather than a round countertop basin. We'll see how it goes anyway... =)
Definitely round.
We have square in our current rental and they are the worst vanities ever.
You need to be extra vigilant in your cleaning and I don't think they are particularly aesthetically pleasing either.
We have chosen one that is square on the outside and round inside.
Related
You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum