Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Mirror down to vanity level

Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone

I'm currently trying to convince DH that placing the bathroom mirror on the wall so that it sits low, meeting with the vanity (no tiles), is a good look. But he thinks there might be a problem with water splashes eventually rusting and marking the bottom of the mirror. PD homes seem to have all their bathroom mirrors placed this way.

The question is: Has anyone had a mirror placed low like this and had it deteriorate? Or does it depend on the type of vanity used as I'm not sure if some of them have more of a 'lip' at the back or not. Any thoughts appreciated...
If it sits directly onto the vanity and water sits there with it, you will get problems eventually. Do at least a ½ tile off the vanity, just to keep it out of any water.

PD may do it, but that doesn’t mean its right.
Our bathroom has the mirror down to the vanity. I don't get any water on the mirror but my boyfriend who is a bit messier splashes water all over the place

We've had it for about a year and so far there is no deterioration.
It does take a few years to happen. But once it starts, there’s no stopping it, you will need to get another mirror.

This would be a good question for a glazier.
Michelle
It does take a few years to happen. But once it starts, there’s no stopping it, you will need to get another mirror.

This would be a good question for a glazier.

To be honest i don't think mum even thought of that when she decided to have it done

Personally i think i would have a tile between in future. Only because i am a bit of a neat freak and it's hard to keep the mirror watermark free.
I wanted mine on the vanity as well when I built, but put it up one tile…just to be safe.

Its 22 years old and only just starting to get the little marks old mirrors get now.

Not my problem, I’ll be out soon, the ex will never notice it…….
PD do it in their displays, but they don't offer it as a standard item, or didn't when we built last year. I thought about it too, but decided to have a row of tiles between, about 300mm.

My kids STILL manage to splash goodness-knows-what all over the mirror.
there is nothing wrong with splashing water on the mirror.
The issue is getting water underneath the mirror. This starts the backing to discolor and comes through the mirror looking a rust type color from memory.

I guess if you dont sill the bottom of the mirror to the vanity then there is a greater chance this will happen. Having the mirror raised reduces how much water it could sit in.
borg
there is nothing wrong with splashing water on the mirror.

OK...only someone who never cleans bathrooms would say that.

It might not be a maintenance issue, but it IS a drive-you-crazy issue.
I had mirrors like that in one house. The mirrors didn't deteriorate, but the contstant splashes of water and things like toothpaste on them drove me mad!

In my next house (which is also PD) we are having tiled splashbacks and they haven't charged us any extra for them.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think you're right, it's probably the back of the mirror getting wet that causes the problem. It's interesting that the display homes show it low yet don't do it as standard. I think we'll stick with it being raised off the vanity to be on the safe side.
Another thing we have picked up over time, some above counter basins with a tap landing are pretty ugly behind them - potential pipes etc - this was the case with us - and with the mirror down to vanity you'd be able see the back of it.
We have had mirror to the basin for 12 years now and have had no problem at all.....apart from the splashes. It looks very well sealed at the bottom.
Our mirror is on the wall directly at the top of our basin. It has a thin (3cms?) border tile around it. It's been there 11 years and no dramas yet. To counteract the toothpaste and splashes etc on the mirror I bought a glass and mirror cloth at the supermarket. It sits inside my vanity cupboard door on a clip-it hook. I just wipe over the mirror, its great! One swipe and it's all clean. Fantastic, effortless!
themax
Our mirror is on the wall directly at the top of our basin. It has a thin (3cms?) border tile around it. It's been there 11 years and no dramas yet. To counteract the toothpaste and splashes etc on the mirror I bought a glass and mirror cloth at the supermarket. It sits inside my vanity cupboard door on a clip-it hook. I just wipe over the mirror, its great! One swipe and it's all clean. Fantastic, effortless!

I'll be getting one of those themax, sounds perfect.
SuH
Seem to remember that it MAY have been Vileda? It's a white open weave but soft, bit like a Chux cloth but softer. 2 in a pack. Seem to remember the packet being a clear crinkly plastic with an aqua colour on it somewhere. Very light and easy to pop on door of cupboard.
SuH
Hygiene Plus
Streak free FAST GLASS Window Wipes, pack of 6.
We have our mirror about 1/2 tile up from the vanity with no problems, you do get a lot more water splashes on to the front of the mirror though.
themax
SuH
Seem to remember that it MAY have been Vileda? It's a white open weave but soft, bit like a Chux cloth but softer. 2 in a pack. Seem to remember the packet being a clear crinkly plastic with an aqua colour on it somewhere. Very light and easy to pop on door of cupboard.

thanks
I like things that make my life easier
Simonds had standard mirrors that meet the vanity. We have bowl sinks and the splash of the water very rarely hits the bottom of the vanity and my husband is sooo messy! I quite like the look of the mirror meeting the vanity
Related
18/04/2024
Hang 10kg mirror on dry wall.

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Ditto 3M Claw, expensive but best thing I've used to date. I put two of the 11kg ones in for a 12kg mirror on the wall, and its been great for 4 years now.

7/03/2024
Discover Elegance with Hera Bathware's Bathroom Vanity Colle

Bathrooms and Laundry

Transform your bathroom into a sanctuary of calm and sophistication with Hera Bathware's Bathroom Vanity Collection. A standout…

18/07/2023
Current thinking on garage floor level with house floor

Building A New House

isn't a garage level with the rest of the house a given? pretty sure they 'came around' long time ago. if you have a flat block, the garage is usually level with the rest…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum