Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Adding a half wall?

Page 1 of 1
After a few months, it's only just dawned on me that with our ensuite layout, the positioning of the toilet roll holder is going to be quite awkward! My thoughts are that we can totally rearrange the ensuite (if possible at this stage with the builder), create a small wall that runs alongside the toilet and allow for the holder, or get a portable one that we can take anywhere.

I believe the first will be overly expensive and may not be possible, the second sounds like a reasonable idea and shouldn't hurt the hip pocket too much, and the third is the least preferred.

Has anyone done something similar and if so, provide some good/bad points about doing so? I was thinking something that was only about 500mm high and 500mm long, positioned between the toilet and the door.

Our current layout is:
I like the idea!

A half wall between the loo and the bath…….should look good and serves for extra privacy.
What about something like this "Wall Buddy"? It has towel storage, a built in cupboard for toilet paper, and you can attach toilet roll holders/towel rails etc.

http://www.bathroominternational.com.au ... asp?ID=109
Not bad Joles, that wall buddy is growing on me but I'd probably only use it for an existing house.

I'd probably go with the half wall if building - more of finished look if that makes sense. I think they are great, not only to put the toilet roll holder but also just for privacy - anything to stop the stage fright!

Can you tell we are a bit biased as we are doing a half wall between our spa and toilet in our ensuite
I should have gone to my wife first, because as per normal, she's suggested an idea I didn't think of but would meet the same need.

Rather than a single half-wall, extend the spa "frame" so it becomes an L-shape. We like the idea of the wall buddy, but do want something more established so potentially we'd try and make some storage out of the L addition to the spa.

If we went down that path though, what would we (or the builder) make the addition out of? Initially I thought concrete covered by tiles for the wall, but a concrete addition would be difficult to create storage in. In contrast, if it's a wood/fibreglass addition then I would think it would be difficult to tile over.
Why couldn't you make the wall from ply or MDF and tile over it?

Then you could have empty holes on the end like this to hold towels etc...

This is how I made my wall but I didn't need to tile over it.
C&C
create a small wall that runs alongside the toilet and allow for the holder

A display home I saw in mernda by JG K1ng had a little half wall..it was only about 1m in height but was enough to put the toilet roll holder on. It already had a wall on the otherside so it wasn't necessary but it was more for looks I think.

Anyway it is called flinders and here is the link:
http://www.jgkinghomes.com.au/homeDetails.php?hid=15
Don't do it out of MDF.... In a bathroom that is frought with disaster!!
There is also a half wall in an ensuite in a display home in Pakenham for United Builders. Sorry for being vague but I remembered it looked great and definitely worth a look if you lived nearby and wanted to know how it looks!
Baths are usually set into a timber frame, which is covered with waterproof sheets and tiled over, so the L-shaped spa frame extension wouldn't be terribly difficult.

When we did a bathroom reno some time ago, we did a similar(ish) thing alongside our bath, the day before our tiler was due to start. It was one of those "I just had a brilliant idea!" moments that make my husband cringe, because he's the one who has to do the actual work...

Ideas are my department. He's the manual labourer.
I'd consider putting a triangluar shaped wall section on the left side of the toilet. Match the angle with that of the shower on the other side. That'd have the added benefit of hiding the toilet from view when you first walk in, which is always good.
Friends of my mum and dad did the same sort of thing when they were redesigning their bathroom. They did a half wall in glass bricks to hide the toilet from view - looked fine, didn't need tiling and obscured anyone using the loo from view.
Related
27/07/2023
Adding a toilet/wash room to small house

General Discussion

Hey, I am wanting to add a second toilet to my house, bit we have limited room. There is a hallway/entry that is never used, so was thinking this could be an option. Only…

7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum