Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Best depth of bath?

Page 1 of 1
We have room to put a 1.8 m bath in. I was hoping to put in a deeper than normal bath and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good depth. We have young children and will have another baby at some stage so it still need to be accessible for them, but comfortable for me to have a soak in too.

Thanks
Andrea
hi ellyash

we upgraded both baths to ones that are 510mm deep, you can see pics in my house of donuts thread. I think this depth will be great for when I am in the bath, but looking at the kids' one now I'm wondering if I'll have to lean over a lot to wash them properly, and thinking maybe a shallower one would've been better for their one.

But if you only have one bath, I would go as deep as you can
and put up with the leaning over.

1.8 is lovely and long too!
donuts
hi ellyash

we upgraded both baths to ones that are 510mm deep, you can see pics in my house of donuts thread. I think this depth will be great for when I am in the bath, but looking at the kids' one now I'm wondering if I'll have to lean over a lot to wash them properly, and thinking maybe a shallower one would've been better for their one.

But if you only have one bath, I would go as deep as you can
and put up with the leaning over.

1.8 is lovely and long too!

make the kids sit on a plastic stool in the bath tub like I was made to when I was young
We have looked at baths recently, and you can get nice deep one which are about 500mm deep. my current bath is 439mm and it is great so around that size is good for the kids and for yourself.
ed.
make the kids sit on a plastic stool in the bath tub like I was made to when I was young

good idea ed!
Oh really think long and hard about it with small children. In our rental which we lived in for 12mths we renovated the bathroom and put in a long and deep bath. What a nightmare for bathing babies. The toddler was okay but I washed the baby in his baby bath until he was old enough to go straight into the shower with Daddy. Now the new rental we have moved into has a horrid corner bath - that is even more of a nightmare with a daredevil 18mth old who can scoot right over to the far corner far out of Mumma's reach
ohhh i got a 510mm depp bath and its perfect.

for thie kids you will have to lean down, but then if you have a sore back you have a lovely deep bath to relax and soak in
I am loving my deep bath too!

And when I'm bathing the kids, I just sit on DS's step stool and find I don't have to lean over as much then, just lean forward a bit which is not bad at all.
I have no idea what depth or length bath I'm getting! I hadn't even thought about it - Odd.

Ok just checked my plans the bath is 1890 in length - awesome, longer than me
think about it lisanne!!! A cyclist needs deep luxurious baths
you won't regret it!
donuts
think about it lisanne!!! A cyclist needs deep luxurious baths
you won't regret it!

I will definitely ask the question - I had just never thought about it
We had a lovely extra long bath in our last house. It was only a standard kind of depth though. My kids loved it. This time around we've gone for the smaller standard size as I'm not much of a bath soaker type person and neither is DH. BUT we are going to buy a portable outdoor spa instead.
kexkez
We had a lovely extra long bath in our last house. It was only a standard kind of depth though. My kids loved it. This time around we've gone for the smaller standard size as I'm not much of a bath soaker type person and neither is DH. BUT we are going to buy a portable outdoor spa instead.

Oooh a spa! That might have to go a lot further down the list of everything though for the next 5 years!
Now that the kiddo's are out of the toddler/have to help bathe them stage, we are splurging and getting a longer bath 1790mm and 480mm deep....oh and 12 jets
......I cannot wait!
Related
22/10/2023
Drop (Deepened) Edge Beam maximum depth/height

Building A New House

The distance between my DEBs varies from 4.1m at the narrowest to 8.1m at the widest.

29/10/2023
Sewer line minimum depth in NSW

Building A New House

Hi, only for walking. It is a narrow 1.5m paved area next to house.

25/10/2023
Freestanding bath taps and kids

Bathrooms and Laundry

Bathroom renovation will likely include a back-to-corner bath and we’re considering a freestanding tap with hand-held shower such as the picture included. My hesitation…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum