Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Bathroom exhaust venting to laundry

Page 1 of 1
We just moved into a new home in Melbourne (only several months old). We have a bathroom ensuite and a living area upstairs. The laundry is separated from the ensuite by a walk in wardrobe.

We noticed that the laundry would steam up after a hot shower (windows steam up). Both rooms have fans in the ceilings and from inspection on the outside I can find no vents that exhaust to the outdoors. This leads me to think that they are both venting in the ceiling and below the upstairs floor and thus air is flowing between these rooms via that cavity.

Is this a usual design? We have noticed odd things in other parts of the home and this screams cost cutting. Anything we should be concerned about in the long term?
Any extractor fan should vent to the outside especially those that service a wet room like a laundry or bathroom. The moist air needs to be expelled externally otherwise continued use could see mould start to grow in your ceiling cavity.

Stewie
Definitely have them both vented outside, also look at getting a dehumidifier especially during the winter months it will help to eliminate condensation and during rainy weather.
I'm chasing the builder on the bathroom exhaust.... Might be an uphill battle on asking him to add a laundry exhaust as well.
Is annoying that they don't do it properly in the first place.
Related
24/07/2023
Bathroom/Laundry Combo

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hey all, Hoping for some inspiration for my bathroom laundry combo. The tiles are in good condition, as is the bathtub. I’ve given it a coat of white paint and added…

2/04/2024
Floor plan renovation help for bathroom/laundry

Bathrooms and Laundry

This is a very tight fit, I'm not sure if you'll be able to achieve what you've described. Would you consider accessing the separate toilet from the laundry? If so maybe…

24/12/2023
Seeking feedback: Exhaust fan for home office

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

My home office is hot with computer equipment running virtually 18 hours a day. When it gets unbearably warm I simply step out of my door into the living area which is…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum