Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Replace Bathroom Floor Grate/Drain

Page 1 of 1
Hi, recently had my bathroom floor gratecrack, it was plastic (pretty shabby i know), but i've hit a wall trying to replace it with a steel one. Who would i go to to install it? A tiler? Plumber? General handyman? If it's a tiler do i need spare tiles? Can the job be done without touching/damaging the surrounding tiles?

Any advice appreciated

LalaShamiSha
Hi, recently had my bathroom floor gratecrack, it was plastic (pretty shabby i know), but i've hit a wall trying to replace it with a steel one. Who would i go to to install it? A tiler? Plumber? General handyman? If it's a tiler do i need spare tiles? Can the job be done without touching/damaging the surrounding tiles?

Any advice appreciated

Would also like to know this or how you went with yours. Thanks
Hitech01
LalaShamiSha

Any advice appreciated

Would also like to know this or how you went with yours. Thanks

Definitely a tiler job. I ended up having to find a grate that was the exact same size as the old one. Not an easy job as most standard ones are 100mm-110mm. Mine of course was 120mm.. Scoured the interwebs and finally found one. A tiler came and installed it. He managed to do without lifting any tiles as the outer part of the old grate was plastic so he was able to cut around the grout and rip it out and install the new one.
Thanks for the reply. My old grate was just like your one size wise, but was white plastic. I pulled it out no problem, as it was poorly glued by plumber and replaced with 110mm grate, but it had gaps on the side which needed some extra grouting. Also the new grate was thicker so had to shave down some of the cement the old grate was sitting on….

It’s very annoying how 120mm grates are used when the standard seems 100-110mm at most
Related
14/08/2023
150mm Garage Grate Drain

General Discussion

Had a new driveway installed with a 6 metre long 150 x 150 channel drain and have since found out it has 4cm of water sitting at the bottom below the side pipe…

30/05/2023
Replace roof, raise wall height vs extend

Renovation + Home Improvement

ok thanks - yes was wondering if that should have been listed as Option Three!

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum