Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Small bathroom renovation

Page 1 of 1
I'm about to renovate a small bathroom by completely gutting it and installing everything anew. The project involves moving the bathtub and placing a shower over it. The location for the former separate shower will be used for a toilet. An existing window will be closed over and a new window installed above 7ft height so that no blinds will be necessary. I will also install a new, more powerful exhaust fan. I wonder whether I should also think about new lighting. Any tips warmly welcomed.

Thank you.
Armando2020
...completely gutting it and installing everything anew...I wonder whether I should also think about new lighting.

Since you are gutting the room you have a wonderful opportunity to really lift the design with lights. Firstly, apart from the ambient light that you'll likely put somewhere roughly central on the ceiling, you can put the best kind of task lighting on either side of the mirror, which is the most flattering way to use a bathroom mirror. Additionally, you might consider some some accent lighting elsewhere. For example, we have a floating vanity, and installed strip lighting under it, which gives a nice effect.
Yes I was thinking of a light under a floating vanity. I can’t do mirror lights because I’m going to install a large shaving cabinet because we really need the storage.

Thanks for the tip.
Armando2020
I can’t do mirror lights because I’m going to install a large shaving cabinet because we really need the storage.

I don’t know your design, but you could put the lights on either side on the walls, or they even have options to put strips lights in the mirrors themselves.
Related
11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

2/04/2024
Floor plan renovation help for bathroom/laundry

Bathrooms and Laundry

This is a very tight fit, I'm not sure if you'll be able to achieve what you've described. Would you consider accessing the separate toilet from the laundry? If so maybe…

8/06/2023
Small builders in Western Sydney (NSW)

Building A New House

Hi all, We are looking to build a new two storey house in western Sydney. Can anyone recommend a smallish builder to go with? We are trying to stay away from the big…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum