Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Château TDL: The Backyard Chapter...the rains have come!

Page 1 of 4
Well whilst being flat knacker at work we have managed to do a bit at home so an update on various bibs and bobs...

Backyard

Done a fair bit of work in the backyard after getting some inspiration from the net and a few photos that some forumers PM-ed me.

This is what we started with….

In October I finished the cubby….http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=9567…although only just finished the sandpit.

And starting hatching my ideas as you can see from the spray paint and my previous post.

viewtopic.php?t=10078

I started collecting my sandstone blocks from over Sale way (3 hours due east) on my regular trips…occasionally I’d only get three rocks into the trailer they were that heavy!

Excavation commenced in November….

Some rocks planted in early December….

More rocks….

Treated pine frame for bridge in place and starting to infill rocks with a combination of Bright oversized pebbles and Yea river pebbles…they are still dirty but there’s an amazing color variation from reds, greys, deep purples, light colors.

Bridge finished with a couple of coats of clear oil to bring the color out…I’ve had to edge the rock feature…not particularly happy with the fact that it’s edged but hopefully once the garden beds are completed around it and plants have grown I can remove the edging and let it blend.

From another angle…

This guy followed me around the garden….

As of the weekend paths going down…recycled brick edging (to match the house) in place (although temporarily supported on the right hand side with other bricks until the soil for the garden had been placed). Garden bed to the left finished…ready for autumn planting. Eventually the whole dry bed will be surrounded by garden plants and Aust natives. The path only has screenings in it for now but eventually it will be filled with some compacted toppings.

The to_do_list

In the meantime I/we are also….

- installing some IKEA storage stuff bought last week
- building some bedside tables and install wall lights
- planning the new extension (rumpus)
- redoing the ceiling insulation
- getting some rainwater tanks which will allow me to finish of the garden bed between the house and the dry bed.

We’ve used a few tradies for some other works – we’ve picked out some really, really, really good tradies so we’ve had

- the house completely repainted and he will be coming back in the new year to do our decks and probably the windows…highly recommended.
- new laundry cabinets and mods to some kitchen cabinets by a local cabinet maker…A1A
- and of course Rod completely redid the A/V gear…great work Rod!

It’s slow going but it’s taking shape…phew!
wow TDL you have been very busy.

I'm very impressed.

Really like the redgum mantle and your office space. Backyard is inspirational... I'll have to get DH to have a look at your billabong/dry creek as it is exactly what I want in our minute yard .

Well done.
Great to have you pop in Mike

You have been busy - it all looks great!

Your garden is a kids heaven! Beautiful
Welcome back TDL - we have missed you over the last two months.

Everything is looking really great.
Wow, great job in the back yard Mike, except the big rock next to the bridge is upside down! Don't want to roll it over do you?
Congrats on a job well done! Looks great. My DS would LOVE a karting track in the backyard, but Syd metro doesn't allow for that much space.
It great that you guys are really making the most of your backyard for the kids

Study looks great too.

Good luck on the to_do_list.
Hi TDL, good to hear from you again, we've missed you!

It all looks great. The back yard especially (your rock bed is better than anything in Better Homes & Gardens mag!!), but also the clever shelf, the mantle (is that a geek engineering show you have on the tv? lol), the study ...

Hope you keep popping in from time to time to update us some more as the back yard evolves

Happy New Year.
A very busy person TDL = well done.
Looking great, TDL! I envy you, your study! Perfect set up there. Glad to hear you were happy with the supplier. I always feel more comfortable dealing withe personal recommendations.

Thanks and good luck on crossing things of the To Do List
yeah I thought you had gone MIA!

I love the dry creek bed you have done. It is just like an idea I have had floating about in my head for my place
so I have copied and saved the pics
thanks for the inspiration and good to see you back. Did DW go out or let you go on homeone for a set time?...

mine does
Looks fantastic - love that study - maybe even I could get some work done in there (okay well I'd probably still end up on homeone rather than working!
)
Wow Looks terrific TDL. Hope you keep posting photos of each job as you do them. It's really good to see everyones ideas. Love that darker timber colour on those office desk tops. Will have to keep that one in mind for our place.
Good to see there has been a very valid reason to not have you here!

Your backyard looks fantastic Mike, well done, bet you’ve had fun!

Your house is coming along as well.

If we can’t have you in person at least posts more photos when you can.
Hi Mike!!!!!

I got the urge to check in today - your place is looking factastic!!

Love your study, you have done a great job of using your space

Will have to give everyone an update on my place - nothing as exciting as yours, but the lounge is finally done!!
Paula who????
Michelle
Paula who????

On Mish, It was a close call having to chose betwen H1 and DH
Paula

Welcome back hun!! We have missed you!!

We want an update on your home!!
That back yard will be amazing, tdl!!! Hey, we might have been at Ikea at the same time!!!
Great place for bits'n'pieces
You reallyhave been busy!!!
Thanks for all your encouragement....

DeeElle...funny you talk about inspiration, this photo that you posted was one that started me thinking about it

and Jo PM'ed me a photo of a local garden to her new house which sealed the deal.

Donuts...it's not hard....dig a hole and fill it up...

Fu...I'm flattered to think I can inspire the "Plant Whisperer"...

Bel and Clarity...the kids (well older one) can't wait for it to be finished...young one is still just go-go-ga-ga-Dadda

BackPock...problem is the to_do_list keeps getting added to....

Eager...you can flip the rock around if you like...cos it ain't movin' now

Kyton, Yak...yep it's keeping me busy.

Sharee, KexK, Paula...I'm really happy with the study and special thanks to Rachelle for the dark timber over white really happy with how it turned out.

Mich...yes...I know...more updates.....

Petal....Tuesday 30 December....arvo...were you there....

Anyhoo....TTFN....(ta ta for now).
Well been a while since I've done an update...

My bridge across the dry bed has become a boardwalk from the house...seemed logical once I'd build the bridge and thought about it a bit.

My favourite photo of the dry bed...

These are the latest photo's from today...areas to the left and right of the path have had soil placed and mulched...with a Crepe Mrtyle for the garden bed to the right. Area to the immediate foreground left of the boardwalk will be a "manicured" lawn as it's near the new tank. Soft fall mulch around the cubby for two reasons...one obvious...it's "soft fall" mulch, also it's a different color...therefore kiddo knows what is garden bed (not necessarily to keep him out just to be careful...
) and what is Tonka zone.

Area behind the cubby is very much a "work in progress" actually even the ideas are still in progress...
...but very much a kid zone plus screening plants.

And another one taken from the cubby end...with Crepe Mrytle in the foreground...bird bath is a bit naff but there's lots of native birds in the area and stuff all for them to drink. Back left area (where you see the cream pot) won't be landscaped as that's where the extension is going...we are in "negotiations".

Painter has been booked to paint the weatherboards now that we've decided on a color...you can probably see the trials of different paint if you look carefully under the verandah.

Anyhoo...TTFN
Related
13/08/2023
Backyard Construction Project

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

That laser level looks lovely! We bought one for less than a quarter of that price off eBay. It worked really well for us and it's still going now, five years later. After…

21/06/2023
Dry Well in the backyard

Landscape & Garden Design

It's possible but a soak well is usually much larger. Your 'soak well' only holds 424 litres when full. What is your soil type? Soak wells need sandy soils.

11/08/2023
Landscape backyard on a slope land

Landscape & Garden Design

Need advice on the backyard plan above. Should I excavate and cut all of the dirt to level with the house slab or semi-excavate as per photo above? Both left and right…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum