Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Sandstone Pavers (Pool area) - Clean & Seal Update etc

Page 1 of 1
Not sure if this is the best spot, but ...

I'm always having trouble with our sandstone pavers around the outside of our pool - ie the deck area. We have a sandy base/soil around us with this black ingredient. In wind the sandstone seems to suck it up.

I'm constantly cleaning it - gurney etc. I'd like something that is easy to wash off - with a hose perhaps.

Does anyone have a solution - no pun intended.

I've even thought of painting over them - if I could find the right paint/cover.
I appreciate the pavers are nice - but they are so absorbent.
I'm getting a quote for clean and seal. They claim its got a 15 year warranty - with a good 10 years usage.

I guess this is better than painting.
Anyone heard of this treatment ?

http://www.tilecleaners.com.au/Sandstone-Cleaning
I just had this awesome thought - I could gurney the pavers and then seal them myself !

I have a gurney - a real gurney ...

I guess Bunnings would have the sealant.

Should I also lacquer the top though - would it be needed ?
Bought Crommelin Sandstone Sealer.

Will advise how it goes ...
Not sure anyone read this, but ...

I ended up getting a local company to deep clean the sandstone pavers - quite powerful gurney and some chemical stuff. Really brought them back to a good look. Their machine left my electric gurney for dead. Even on a low setting. They were worried they might "hurt" the stone.

Then I did the seal. Bought the Crommelin from Bunnings - too much as it happened (hope I can return one tin) - and spread it on fairly liberally. As it'd been raining for weeks I had to wait for the right time. AND - I needed 24 hours of sun to make sure it dried properly. Probably need 24 hours either side of the application. It does do about 3 sq mts a litre.

Well - the day came - the rain had stopped and I gave it all a clean to get little bits of crap off. This dried pretty well and put on first coat. Then about an hour later the second - again fairly liberally. The stone gobbled it up. Second coat was taken in a bit slower.

Pavers look awesome now. Almost like new - if I can remember back to then. I did spill some water on this morning and it "pooled" like on a car wax. It says its not water proof but clearly does repel. I hope it does make it easier to keep them clean now. I'll do a good wash off at least every month now - or sooner - depending on the weather.

(I thought I'd stuffed it at the start - when I opened the tub it was a milky white substance - I thought it would be clear for some reason. When applied it sat on the surface like milk for a few minutes - but very quickly disappeared. Second coat went on much easier.)

Happy to answer questions if anyone is looking at this.
One week later - looking very nice indeed ...
Some time later - still looking really good. Gave it a wash off with hose.

Seems to have really been the answer.
Pics?
Hi Mike,

How does the sandstone look now, and is the Crommelin still working?

Also what did you use to apply the Crommelin please.

Thanks Paul
When it comes to sealing paving there's 2 different types of sealers.
Surface sealers and penetrating sealers.
They work differently and should be used for different applications.
Pool areas should be sealed with a penetrating sealer and if the pool is a saltwater pool the sealer should have a consolidator added to stop salt attack. Using a surface sealer around a pool area can make the pavers extremely slippery when wet.
If you seal with a penetrating sealer you can still then seal it with a surface sealer but if a paver has been surface sealed, a penetrating sealer then cannot be used.
Related
29/08/2023
Sandstone crazy paving quote

Landscape & Garden Design

I had 28m2 of engineered pavers laid six months back and it was difficult to find someone not taking the pi$$. Internet suggested it should be $85-100/m2 to lay them.…

21/06/2023
Mohair Seal Installation

Windows & Doors

I need to replace the worn mohair seal on my sliding window, but I can't get access to the end to slide the old one out & push the new one in. I could probably rip the old…

16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum