Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

HELP - aligning steel posts for a deck

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I'm building a deck with steel posts (deck height is about 1.5m). I have a question about how to align the steel posts to the correct height. Obviously I cannot cut them once they are in the concrete so I'm not sure how I align them so the bearers are all at the correct height. (the bearers are F17 150x50 - so very heavy)

Any ideas please?
Use a water level. Basically some clear tubing with water in it, bend the tube and the water will end up at the same hieght at each end. Use a large diameter tube - less likely to kink.
string line?
I was thinking a string line - but I'm concerned the posts will sink on the concrete as it hardens.

My other thought was to join the posts to the bearer on the ground ****** flat on the ground- dig the holes and then build a temporary support to hold them upright in the holes while the concrete sets. Unfortunately I think the whole structure will be too heavy so (without a couple of blocks and tackle) this won't be possible.

Grant
With out a doubt a water level will help. Just a bit fiddly to make one.

Look on google considering there are heeps of examples.
1. concrete a single end post in position
2. bolt the bearer to the other end post, erect and bolt to the fixed pole, concrete2nd post in position. (If its too heavy with the bearer use a 100x 50) and replace with the bearer afterwards.
3. Hang any intermediate poles from the bearer and concrete in position
Thanks - that sounds like the go!
Laser level all posts and clamp two pieces of timber across the bottom of each post so the timber sits flat on the ground while concrete dries. ensure you have min 100 mm of concrete between post base and bottom of hole. Here is a link to some steel channel posts i did for my deck. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19439
personally i,d leave them slightly too long and cut them to height after concretes set.i used to site demountable buildings on steel posts and that was the easiest way i found and bang on every time
Related
16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

26/09/2023
Deck joist, bearer and posts

Outdoor Living

Seconded; we just used these last weekend to build a small deck. They worked perfectly as we have bluestone in the area where we wanted to build so digging down was not…

2/05/2023
Preventing rust around steel house posts

General Discussion

You’re on the right track, wire brush in a grinder then a zinc rich epoxy primer then a top coat of some sort, like a waterproofing membrane. Raising the concrete would…

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum